HybridZ

How Far Back is Your Motor Sitting?

z-ya

I've been lurking around looking at RB engine placement, and it seems like people either mount it in what looks like the stock L6 location, and others (like myself) have mounted it much closer to the firewall. I understand that having it sit further back can improve F/R balance from a handling perspective. But what other reasons? I place mine closer back because it put the shift right in the middle of the stock tunnel hole. I'm running and RB25DE with the FS5W71C 5 Spd from an RB20DET. Plus it make the stock exhaust manifold exit in a nice location.

Here is where mine is sitting:

PB260058.jpg

PB260059.jpg

PB260057.jpg

Where does everyone else have them mounted?

Thanks,

Pete

That looks very nicely placed. The Front to rear placement is not hugely critical. I have looked at almost every RB post in this group for going on 4 years now and there f/r placement varies somewhat. That looks fine compared to my RB26 and others. It is a comprimise where it ultimately sits and it sounds like that position will require very little additional modification (ie modify manifold or shifter hole, etc.) That NEO looks awesome in that S30.

Another thing I would check for is the ability to remove the tranny with the engine installed...Looks Great!!!

My concern exactly. Can you guys remove the trans without at least moving the engine forward a bit? Mine I will definitely have to.

Thanks,

Pete

• 4 weeks later...