HybridZ

q45 guts in a r200 longnose case...why not?

antwanray

I came across this thread:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=135653&highlight=q45+r200

I am wondering why more people do not do this? It seems like such a cheap alternative to anything else as far as getting LSD into our cars. A guy on Z31 performance did the whole swap for $125!

Can someone please enlighten me??

• Administrators

I am wondering why more people do not do this?

Can someone please enlighten me??

Simple, not worth the effort!

Having owned a few cars with those diffs and being a hard core corner carver that appreciates quality components, the Nissan V-LSD is NOT an option on a high performance sports car enthusiasts "must-have" list! For drag strip duty in a car that is also street car it is fine, drifting, possibly! For a weekend wine taste touring machine or hard core canyon carving machine, I can think of many other places to spend the financial and time resources in an effort to improve the cars handling and corner exit performance.

In a nut shell, just because it is an LSD does not make it a good or desirable LSD, especially from a performance perspective. In my not so humble opinion, the V-LSD is barely an upgrade over open, best suited to a street-strip car or for a show car that just has to have the letters "LSD" on the publicly viewed build sheet. Most sports car enthusiast that take high performance corner carving seriously step up to clutch style LSD, Quaiffe/Torsen style, or even welded!

From another thread on this topic;

Anyone wanting a VLSD that does intend to use the car for spirited cornering or aggressive cornering' date=' please do yourself a big favor. Go drive a 240SX, a Z-32, or a Q-45 with the VLSD and toss it around a few corners spiritedly, not 10 tenths, just 5-7 tenths or so and try to put some power down. The inside tire WILL spin! My first hand experience with this is my Q-45 and 2 Nissan Z32's. For straight line only, it keeps both tires spinning just fine, but in a mild corner, it acts like a peg leg and will spin the inside tire, especially the first couple of corners in a series of corners it acts just like an open diff. It does tighten up a “little” as it heats up, but it [u']never[/u] really gets to the point I would call truly acceptable or worthy for a performance application.

This attribute of the VLSD tightening up as it heats up is an attribute that you do NOT want in a limited slip diff. The Nissan VLSD is VERY sensitive to heat. It works marginally ok when it is heated up, but who is going to drive around with one tire in the dirt and the other on pavement to “warm up” their diff before they want to drive spiritedly? If you want a limited slip for improved traction exiting a corner, it needs to be somewhat consistent from the first corner to the last corner during that drive session or track session. For straight-line at the strip, the VLSD is just fine and I would even recommend it, but for a street car that turns left and right with authority under the control of a person that takes high performance corning seriously, either go Quaife, clutch pack LSD or even welded with its obnoxious street manners.

That's my personal $.02 on the factory V-LSD. :wink:

I am a newbie so I don't think I can drive at 10/10s to even begin to notice the inside wheel spinning while @ the track. I am aware of the VLSD basically becoming an open diff he heated to the right temp....the right temp? I am not sure what that is. I remember reading...sorry for lack of name right now...but the guy who did the q45 v8 into his Z...he had to put a line cooler on the diff because he was getting the diff to hot. I would like to hear from some of the other guys here who road race or do HPDE with the q45 diff. I know the vlsd is quieter, not as notchy and cheaper to find and replace...reasons why I went with it. I drove Joe's (rags) ls1 car with the clsd and so far I have not noticed a difference. I really can't make a 100% comparison because I didn't drive his car as hard as I would mine own @ the track.