HybridZ

Windshield trim removal.

username

The cowl is spot welded in (integrates into the windshield channel, top portion of firewall,and so forth.). You can repair the rust damage correctly by removing the windshield, lower and side trim along with wipers to fully access the area. sorry i wish we had the removable cowls too.

The cowl is spot welded in (integrates into the windshield channel, top portion of firewall,and so forth.). You can repair the rust damage correctly by removing the windshield, lower and side trim along with wipers to fully access the area. sorry i wish we had the removable cowls too.

Thanks - that's too bad. Do you mean just the window trim, or the window itself has to come out too?

that is kind of a tricky question. the only way you will know the answer is if you take the trim off, and inspect along your windshield channel, on all my cars it was always worse than the bubbling appeared, but then again i get my s130's after they have had extremely abused lives.

So lets say you take the trim off and the bubbling is only one area. Meaning it has not spread all along the windshield channel. If this is the case you can do a minor repair by cleaning that area with a wire brush or spot blast it, followed by treating it with a rust inhibitor like the POR products. Once you complete that you can use a body filler, sand, prime and paint (if you can match the original). With this method you should not need to pull the windshield out.

But in other cases like myself, if the damage was more than meets the eye you will have to pull the windshield, trim, wipers, and plastic grill for extensive metal replacement. I hope you do not have to go that route, as I hate it every time.

that is kind of a tricky question. the only way you will know the answer is if you take the trim off, and inspect along your windshield channel, on all my cars it was always worse than the bubbling appeared, but then again i get my s130's after they have had extremely abused lives.

So lets say you take the trim off and the bubbling is only one area. Meaning it has not spread all along the windshield channel. If this is the case you can do a minor repair by cleaning that area with a wire brush or spot blast it, followed by treating it with a rust inhibitor like the POR products. Once you complete that you can use a body filler, sand, prime and paint (if you can match the original). With this method you should not need to pull the windshield out.

But in other cases like myself, if the damage was more than meets the eye you will have to pull the windshield, trim, wipers, and plastic grill for extensive metal replacement. I hope you do not have to go that route, as I hate it every time.

thanks for the detailed response - that's not what I was hoping for but good to know. I'll have to do some searching to find the best way to remove the lower chrome trim and take a peak without damaging it ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I watched the gllass guy do it when he replaced the WS. It clips in, but I would have a glass guy remove it. As for the rear, it is installed with the ws trim. I slid out my bottom strip to repair some bubbles. Waiting for it to warm up and I hope I had slide it back in with the help of wd-40.