HybridZ

Custom 240z small parts (trim panel, tail light etc) interest?

Off hand I am not certain of what is interchangeable between s30's. Hopefully someone here with multiple s30's could try swapping the top cover between the different year cars to see. I do work very close to some of the better junk yards in so cal, and could take mine in to see if there arre a few 280's for a test fitment, would only be luck of the draw if/when the jy would have these cars however.

I baked a cake today!

post-3335-050972000 1289882950_thumb.jpg

post-3335-018768300 1289882965_thumb.jpg

I know it's the least requested part right now, but it's the one that I actually need for my sound system to be complete again.

I did look into the steering column cover a little more though. I don't think it will be that hard to make. It's an odd shape but at least it's small. And I sourced some cheap standoffs that I can bond to one side so that it can be screwed together just like the plastic one. They're not floating though, so it will have to be fairly precise.

CN62-1.jpg

Yes, that is what I meant. A center console that would go from the radio to just behind the shifter, leaving the rest to be covered by carpet.

Yeah a-pillar pods are only ricer if they consist of nonfunctional boost gauges. I don't personally think they are very aesthetic but that's me.

The only problem is that most of the interior parts seem to not be interchangeable. 240,260,280 all have slight variations. Some things like the dome light panel and tail panel look a little different but I think they can be swapped though. Do you guys know if the steering cover is or not?

What's a half center hump cover? You mean a piece that replaces the center console and heater panel?

Yes, that is what I meant. A center console that would go from the radio to just behind the shifter, leaving the rest to be covered by carpet.

That sounds more like a one-off, I don't know if it's something very many people would be into, but I'll consider it.

Today I'm filling screw holes (with dimples for location) and deleting the chrome trim in my old center console so it will be the final shape, getting it ready for primer to fill the leather pattern. Then plug the hollow parts and one last coat of paint before I mount it and pop a mold. It's gonna be a while though, the console is probably the trickiest mold to make (the final part being even more interesting to lay up).

post-3335-070983900 1290483769_thumb.jpg

I put on what I think will be the last coat of frosting to my wheel cake as well as a fillet on the base. Then sand it smooth and paint it several coats. Should be an easy layup after that.

post-3335-033669900 1290483748_thumb.jpg

Finally mounting the dome light trim to a board. I'll have to prep the foam and add fillets before popping a mold. It's not a very glamorous piece to be in cf, but probably the easiest of the interior panels to make so it's a good starter to making a full set.

post-3335-008260000 1290483370_thumb.jpg

Edited by getoffmyinternet

One more thing I need opinions on!

Now I'm debating if I should just fill in the ash tray and fuse cover. Will most people want to get rid of it anyway, or keep the console more original? On one hand, deleting both holes would be easiest and they can always be cut out afterward if needed, but they won't look as nice without a flange. Perhaps most people like having an ash tray anyway to use as a coin box or something anyway. The fuse box could be moved however, and I noticed some people would be better off with that part flat anyway because they mount extra gauges/switches instead. What do you guys think?

Option 1: Delete the ash tray and/or the fuse box door. Leave it up to the buyers to decide if they want to open it back up.

Option 2: Keep just the ash tray hole, delete the fuse door.

Option 3: Keep the fuse door hole, make an optional cover plate to delete it or allow for installation of accessories.

We all want to keep the trays in the back of the console right? I know it's fairly popular to buy an msa style armrest/cupholder attachment and the trays are kind of nice for storage.