HybridZ

drive shaft scarring

patrickhove

my driveshaft is not perfectly aligned side to side. I know that you can have a up and verticle angle but is horizontal angle bad. basically i mounted my engine in slightly off but not much. what has me concerned is my bushing in the tailshaft of my transmission and the yolk on my driveshaft both have some scarring. i my tranny was used and it could have been bad before i got it but the driveshaft was brand new. i have replaced both and am trying to avoid a repeat pita. what causes this. any ideas.

• Administrators
I know that you can have a up and verticle angle but is horizontal angle bad.

I'll assume that's question. If there was a question mark at the end, I'd know for sure :wink:

The shaft doesn't know the difference between up and down or side to side. So no, horizontal offset is not an issue on it's own. What matters is that the angle's are small (~2 degrees) and that they are the same.

basically i mounted my engine in slightly off but not much.

You haven't told us what car you're working on, but an S30's pinion flange is not in the center of the car. If you wanted a straight line, the engine/trans would NEED to be mounted offset to the passenger side roughly 15/16". The stock location is not in the center. In fact, it's about half that (~7/16"). That tells you, from the factory, there is a horizontal offset in the driveline.

what has me concerned is my bushing in the tailshaft of my transmission and the yolk on my driveshaft both have some scarring.

It's hard to tell by your description what is really happening. Are you saying the seal is putting wear marks in the slip yoke? A certain amount of that is normal. If that's not the case, a picture or more thorough description would help.

Edited by RTz

It's hard to tell by your description what is really happening. Are you saying the seal is putting wear marks in the slip yoke? A certain amount of that is normal. If that's not the case, a picture or more thorough description would help.

I would have to agree with this. Without pictures it is hard to say though.

the car is an s30 that has an sr20det engine i put in it. I just recently got it going and noticed after about 300 miles my tranny was leaking oil from the rear seal the driveshaft goes in. i pulled my new shaft out and noticed it was pretty scarred where it rides on the bushing in the transmission. the bushing in the transmission looked the same. my driveshaft looks to be pretty straight but not perfect. this defidently is not normal wear and tear scarring through chrome it will catch your finger nail if drug across. it is possible the the transmission had prior damage to the bushing which damaged my drive shaft or there was debris in there. it also ran low on oil but for no more than 30 miles. I just rebuilt my transmission and put a new yolk on the driveshaft. I am just afraid to drive it and have the same problem. the only other idea i had was maby too much driveshaft angle causing vibration. i didnt notice any crazy noise while driving but keep in mind i have solid diff mount and no interior or windows so there were all kinds of noise. Anyways what i am trying to find out is what can cause scarring on a driveshaft yolk?