HybridZ

Thoughts on Spacer?

Nismo280zEd

Ok guys, spent what few dry days I had when I wasn't at work working on the Z this winter break. Made quite a bit of progress.

I have the 240sx Subframe mocked up in the car with suspension on it, wheels, diff, etc. Just awaiting tubing to weld up final mounts, etc.

Now, it's a 280z, not sure if anybody notices but the rear wheels are not centered in the wheel wells. When you drop the car and put larger wheels on it becomes especially obvious. So since I'm putting in a whole new rear suspension anyways, figured I would fix that. I have the wheels roughly centered in the wheels. I went under neath to check the driveshaft length and there was a problem. The yolk that slides into the transmission is something like 6" long. I still have 3" or more in the transmission however if I run this way, it would greatly reduce the amount of torque I can put down the driveline and will more than likely damage the splines on the drive shaft/transmission. I really don't want to spend a ton of money to get a custom driveshaft made when I only need about 1" added.

My idea was to add a solid 1" steel spacer from the input of the differential to the drive shaft flange. Is this a horrible idea? or will It be ok?

Intended use of the car will be weekend warrior and drifting. So it will see extra stresses on the drive train.

This is also a 2+2 so I already have the longest driveshaft of the Z's.

Thoughts/idea/comments Welcome.

Thanks,

-Ed