HybridZ

I GET THE BIG DUMMY AWARD...

MYRON

I went to try to scrape all of the old layers

of window tint off my back window. After trying everthing I decided to try a little heat. I got my heat gun out and started the slow process of heating the tint to get the glue to loosen up. I get almost the whole

window done and I am on the last little

bit of tint when BANG it sounded like a gun going off. My rear window shattered!

It held its shape but an hour after it happened the window is still cracking. It sounds like a bowl of rice crispies!....

Is the award made out of gold, silver, or glass!....

Homer J Simpson

Sorry Myron.... Hahahaha! Just picturing Homer doing the same thing... But it really sucks.

I broke my windshield in my parts car getting it out, darn its frustrating. Any idea if there is a chemical process to remove old tinting, I have to do the same thing!

------------------

"THE STREETS WILL FLOW WITH THE OIL OF THE NON-BELIEVERS"

Drax240z

1972 240z - L28TURBO transplant on the way!

http://members.xoom.com/r_lewis/datsun.html

From experience soak the film with windex, yes windex, and let it sit for awhile. then with a razor blade get one of the corners up and just pull it off. You need to do this for each layer, and it should come right up with no problem.

Apparently the ammonia in the windex breaks down the bond.

------------------

Brian

68' 280z 327 4-bolt 375HP transforming into a 250-GTO

quote:

Originally posted by sector:

From experience soak the film with windex, yes windex, and let it sit for awhile. then with a razor blade get one of the corners up and just pull it off. You need to do this for each layer, and it should come right up with no problem.

Apparently the ammonia in the windex breaks down the bond.

This works pretty well for tint that isn't too old. If the tint is so old it has changed color from gray to purple, good luck.

This is the procedure I followed.

1. Spray the tint down with a mix of ammonia and water. Then cover the glass with a cut up trash bag, it should cling. If it is too thick use something else. This is to keep the solution from evaporating while it softens the tint.

2. Leave the car in the sun for about 1/2 hour. Did I mention it is best to do this on a hot day?

3. Now peel the trash bag off. If the tint is new, it may come right off with the bag. YAY, YOU'RE DONE!

4. Okay, didn't work huh? Now get out the razor blade. You can use a heat gun or hair drier to soften the adhesive/tint. It is best just to use this to get a peel going (you'll see what I mean.) You heard what happens if you use it too much smile.gif If you are going defogger lines, try running the defogger (not while you're working *zap*)

I've seen a friend remove tint at the side of a road in about 1/2 hour with windex and a razor. It had just been put in and the popo didn't like how dark it was.

I have personally spent a full day removing tint from a rear window that had been baked on over many years. YMMV.

Good luck.

I've zapped tint off too. I peeled as much as I could off of th eglass and then used carb cleaner and a razor to remove the glue. Once the carb cleaner hits the tint it turns to goo real fast in my experience - and yeah this stuff had turned purple. Worth a shot but good luck not trashing the defrog lines...

Guest Fast Frog

Myron:

Hee hee, don't feel to bad. we've all done dumb things like that before. BTW, I've got a scrapped '78 Z (assuming your cracked rear window is a Z)with a good deck lid/window in tact. You can have it for free. But you'd have to come get it or pay for shipping. (hee hee).