HybridZ

LM7 a/t automatic transmission detent selector

I have a GM LM7 2004 5.3 Gen III engine and automatic transmission. I'm in the process of modifying my 24z shifter to use a rod actuated shift... just like stock.

My transmission has 7 detent positions. I'm not sure what each of them might be.

Can someone check this post for me.

I think the order is as follows: 1st detent... is all the way back is Park.

2nd detent... is Reverse

3rd detent ... is Neutral

4th detent ... is D-4 (and all shift points from 1-4 and OD)

5th detent ... is D-3 (and all shift points from 1-3)

6th detent ... is D-2 (and all shift points from 1-2)

7th detent ... is D-1 (D1 and no other shift: true "low")

All of the detents, other than the detent for Park to Reverse are equally spaced. The Park to Reverse seems to be many degrees more rotation than any of the other detents.

Here's what I call the detent selector:

AT_Selection_Box.JPG

In this photo the gear selection lever is all the way forward an is in the 7th position.

Do GM trucks have a gear selection for four forward speeds?

I hope the "LUCAS" cast into this electrical piece is not the same "LUCAS" that I had for lights and engine management on my Fiat124 Sport Coupe.

G

Edited by zgeezer
Added last minute comment

If that lever is all the way it can go counter-clockwise, then it is in 1st gear. Then going one click clockwise would be 2nd gear and so on until you get to the 7th detent or all the way clockwise and then you are in Park.

All 4L60/4L65/4L80/4L85 transmissions (doesn't matter the app) have a manual gear selection for all 4 forward gears built into the transmission even if the factory shifter has the doesn't provision for selecting all the forward gears. For example, automatic 4th Gen F-Body cars would not allow the driver to select 1st gear with the factory automatic shifter.

Does that answer your question?

• 4 weeks later...

Yep, the lever is all the way back clockwise and will move forward (counter clockwise ) Thanks for the response.

g

I used the C5 shifter but I used the stock datsun rod to connect the 2. You just have to create a linkage between the shifter and the rod. The indicator on gear 1 and 2 is a little bit off but 3, D, R and N are right on. GL