HybridZ

tips on sandblasting.

Guest sector

hey guys,

I have finally gotten the car completely striped down, there is nothing but metal left. I was wondering for those of you who have gone this route what is the easiest way to sandblast a z. I was planning on putting it up on some jack stands and laying down underneath, but realized how much of a hassle this would be. I am planning on putting a 250 gto kit on it so I was wondering if it would hurt to flip the car on its side? Any feedback would be appreciated. I remember reading something about a rotating frame someone had built to do the same thing with but I cant recall who built it.

------------------

Brian

68' 280z 327 4-bolt 375HP transforming into a 250-GTO

Lone, thanks for the plug and assuming I was a gentleman wink.gif.

I built mine pretty quick and dirty, but it was plenty strong and stable for a Z shell. I did put the suspension on it at the end, and it didn't break. There's a picture off of the main page of my site. I built the wood stands, but had a professional welder do the welding on the steel parts that would hold up the car.

Chris's rotisserie is much nicer. No wood wink.gif, and very well engineereed and built.

On this sandblasting topic, I have a few thoughts. If I were to do it again, and my driveway was not sloped so much toward the street, I'd tie two rotisserie stands together, put wheels on them, and then roll the car and all out into the driveway, etc. Heck, I might even do it with the sloped driveway and use a come-along to transit the car in and out of the garage.

I had a guy come over with a gas powered compressor on his truck and a pot type sandblaster. He had a hard time seeing what he was doing in the garage and missed alot of spots - not really his fault. Those sand blast helmets are very tough to see out of, especially when the sand erodes the "window" you look out of even tiny bit. I went and rented a sandblaster and went over the stuff he missed, after I saw what the situation was. You need lots of light to be able to see with that sandblast hood on and there's nothing better than diffuse light from the Sun for that!

I had put up a plastic sheet barrier between the car and the part of that garage that has the door adjoined to the house to keep the sand dust out. That worked, but having 4-6 inches of sand under the car when done was pretty messy.

If I were to do it again, I'd put alot of effort into getting the car outside.

Oh yeah, if you've cut the roof, floors, or rocker panels off the car already, I'd do something to stiffen it up before putting it on the rotisserie.

BTW, I used the sand residue in the spreader to help break up the clay soil in the yard. smile.gif. The paint chips, well, there wasn't very much of that stuff that you could see.

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project - pparaska@home.com">pparaska@home.com -

hey guys,

thanks for the ideas, i will either use the rotisserie like yours pete or make a cable suspension system that would hang from the rafters of the barn i will be doing the work in. I have a couple of commercial work lights so that I can see better, I am hoping that this won't take too long. I want to get on to repairing the rust so I can get it on the road.

------------------

Brian

68' 280z 327 4-bolt 375HP transforming into a 250-GTO

Guest Anonymous

Lone,

Thanks as well...My Dad built my rotisserie and had the benefit of seeing Pete's and what he had done. In order to get Pete's to work on my car (240 v. 280) we would have had to fabricate new mounts and my Dad figured while he was at it he would just go ahead and make a complete unit. Also, a buddy of his at work is really into older Mustangs and always wanted one so he helped along as well.

Sector,

Like Lone said I don't think I would want to do any sandblasting on my back. I am going to do something like Pete said that he did in that I am going to build a plastic "tent" around the car to contain the sand. I wanted to get mine done quickly as well, my target for having the sandblasting done was the end of August, oh well, I guess I blew that estimate!! Right now I am still stripping undercoating, looking for seats (which I may have found tonight!!), repairing any minor rust areas that are found and preparing to install the roll cage. Once all of that is completed that I will be ready to blast away!!

Pete,

Thanks for the idea of the sand on the yard. Now I can tell the wife that I am doing this to help out with the lawn - sounds good to me!!

Chris

There are some outfits that will completely

sandblast your car. I was quoted around 400.00 down here in Texas. It was a "billy-bob" type backwoods shop. As long as the

blasting material is very fine I dont think that there would be a problem going this route....

Myron

Guest Anonymous

Not a job you'd want to do on your back I don't think, unless you like getting buried in sand smile.gif.

The easiest way would be with a rotisserie. See the Brakes, Wheels, Suspension and Chassis section of the board and look at Chris's subframe pictures in his post titled "New Pics of subframe installation... ", I believe you can see a picture of the rotisserie. I think Pete has a picture as well on his page: http://members.home.net/pparaska/

Just a opinion mind you, but thats how I would do it as well. Both Gents have had what looks like great success using the rotisserie.

Regards,

Lone

We have a place here around San Antonio that drops you shell in a chem vat and when they come out all you have is bare steel... No missed spots. people put the other parts in the car and have them done at the same time. That is what they do with the old 20's, 30, 40's... cars. I don't think they charge that much unless they take the car apart and put it back together... You might look around in your area and see if someone does that kind of thing... It would be worth the money if you already removed everything...

------------------

Z U V8ter

http://cyind.com

Rspencer@satx.rr.com