HybridZ

What is this?

I've spent half of my day feeling like a retard. I have a 77 280z, just got it a couple of days ago and I'm trying to get familiar with everything on it. I've run across an assembly that is confusing me.

Located on the passenger side of the engine, attached to the inside fender is a plastic canister (not the charcoal/carbon canister) that has vacuum lines running to(iirc); the intake mani, a diaphragm looking device attached to the intake manifold and then to another device mounted just above the canister. Now, I'm fairly certain the L28E has a MAF meter(right?) so this can't be a MAP thing... and there is a hose connected to the 2nd assembly that goes through the firewall... I'd think if that was to a gauge it'd be for pressure and the oil gauge is the only thing I'm seeing there... so... ???

I was thinking emissions, but I figured I'd ask before I went crazy trying to figure it out myself... I can post pictures if needed, but I figured this would be a duh thing.

I've spent half of my day feeling like a retard. I have a 77 280z, just got it a couple of days ago and I'm trying to get familiar with everything on it. I've run across an assembly that is confusing me.

Located on the passenger side of the engine, attached to the inside fender is a plastic canister (not the charcoal/carbon canister) that has vacuum lines running to(iirc); the intake mani, a diaphragm looking device attached to the intake manifold and then to another device mounted just above the canister. Now, I'm fairly certain the L28E has a MAF meter(right?) so this can't be a MAP thing... and there is a hose connected to the 2nd assembly that goes through the firewall... I'd think if that was to a gauge it'd be for pressure and the oil gauge is the only thing I'm seeing there... so... ???

I was thinking emissions, but I figured I'd ask before I went crazy trying to figure it out myself... I can post pictures if needed, but I figured this would be a duh thing.

Picture can either be posted from photo bucket or you can use a URL of the picture and you click the little mountain button thing above and add it. I will answer as soon as I see a picture because I too have a 77 280z. The passenger side of the bay is pretty well cleaned up for me so there isn't much left on that side.

Ok, this isn't my engine bay (but I can see part of what's confusing me in it).

30165760025_large.jpg

Just to the left of the fusible links is a metal plate with two metal (diaphragms?) things attached to it. Directly below that is a plastic (almost reminded me of a big water bottle) canister. There is a vacuum line running from that metal assembly down to the canister. Both of those are what I'm trying to figure out.

And now I'm curious, AFM is different than MAF? I assume the theory is the same, the implementation is just different? Sorry for the ignorance, you don't have to answer this, I'll look it up if you don't :mrgreen: Once I figure out the name/system the canister thing belongs to I'll look it up too.

FINALLY found it in the FSM.

It is indeed the vacuum tank. The other two valves are the Magnet Valve FICD which goes to the Fast idle actuator and the magnet valve - vacuum source (names per the FSM).

Go figure... I tried so hard not to have to ask and then I find it as soon as I do... -_-

I can tell I'm going to have to read that section of the FSM about 10 times before I understand the logic behind all of that mess...

FINALLY found it in the FSM.

It is indeed the vacuum tank. The other two valves are the Magnet Valve FICD which goes to the Fast idle actuator and the magnet valve - vacuum source (names per the FSM).

Go figure... I tried so hard not to have to ask and then I find it as soon as I do... -_-

I can tell I'm going to have to read that section of the FSM about 10 times before I understand the logic behind all of that mess...

Good thing too cause I don't have that. haha, like I said, mostly everything over there is gone. No more fusible links, no more external voltage regulator, no more nasty wiring plugs, I put it all into the loom/ got rid of it. I now have maxi fuse, internal voltage regulated zxt alternator and I just put all the wiring inside the harness and just left the tips of the plugs exposed even though I don't think I will ever need them I can't just take them out of the harness without pulling the dash and taking the entire thing apart.

• Administrators

Ahem.... :wink:

3. Please make a good effort to post a topic "subject" title that is pertinent and descriptive of the subject that you want to convey.[/b'] When you post a thread with a title like “I need help” this makes it harder for the next guy to find what he is looking for when they try to search the database. It is impossible to know what that thread is about so it must either be skipped over or opened to check the content. The title of your post is not the place to be VAGUE!!!

Read the rules twice, three times now. Next time I should put the description / title switched? Because if I had guessed at the description before my title would have been "Is this the MAF sensor or Emissions tubing?" Which would have helped no one in a search. Ergo, I went with a more vanilla title.

Not trying to be defensive, or an ass. Just trying to figure what the admins want for titles. Surely you guys don't think every title can be search-able?

• Administrators
Read the rules twice, three times now. Next time I should put the description / title switched? Because if I had guessed at the description before my title would have been "Is this the MAF sensor or Emissions tubing?" Which would have helped no one in a search. Ergo, I went with a more vanilla title.

Not trying to be defensive, or an ass. Just trying to figure what the admins want for titles. Surely you guys don't think every title can be search-able?

First off, I do want to thank you for your diligence in researching the answers to your questions and reporting back your findings. :2thumbs: You are spot on with your findings, the vacuum reservoir and solenoids are for the factory A/C cars which have vacuum actuated diaphragms under the dash vs the non A/C cable actuated vent doors.

You also found correctly the Z car EFI uses an AFM, (Air Flow Meter) not a MAF, (Mass Air Flow sensor), which are not interchangeable physically or descriptively.

As for what the staff wants from the membership regarding thread titles, we don't want people guessing in their title nor vagueness, just some effort put forth on the posters part to be more descriptive in their thread title. The title bar allows approx 85 spaces to be used. With some imagination, color, shape, size of part, or some other description can be conjured in less than 85 spaces. :wink:

This forum has been around since early 2000, as you can imagine the archives are broad and deep and the search engine has always been a resource we hope all members will find useful and use regularly. With such a vast archive we have found that a descriptive title helps filter the unwanted clutter when hundreds of posts pop up for a particular search.

Not to put too fine a point on this, but regardless of whether anyone feels every title is searchable or not, we run a tight ship and descriptive thread titles is one the rules here.

Brief description of this forum.

This forum is dedicated to extreme performance Z cars, a forum for those guys/gals that have moved on beyond stock and simple basic mods and are delving into new uncharted territory where purism is not welcome. We have several rules that are not common on most forums and the staff here take those rules seriously. On this forum one can find Viper powered street Z cars to 200+ MPH Bonnevile Z cars. V-12 powered Ferrari replicas based on the Z platform to some incredible 7 and 8 second drag Z cars using the stock rear suspension and differential. Diesel powered Z cars to electric powered Z cars and the list goes on... that is what this forum is about. We want this to be a forum where hard core performance veterans and newbs gleaning from those veterans sharing their experiences are welcome in a family friendly atmosphere. We all have something we can learn from each other.

Hope that helps shed some light on why we are, how we are. :wink:

By the way, clean looking looking Z you have there. :2thumbs:

Edited by BRAAP