HybridZ

280zx SBC T5 HELP JTR setback ??

So im in process of swapping a SBC with a camaro T5 into my ZX using the JTR KIT

There is no problem apart fom the fact that i have my engine in the most rearward postition

doesnt line up the way the JTR manual states:

The following pictures shows the JTR 'rerward postion'

firewall-bell-rear-1399.jpg

im somewhere in between the 'forward position'and 'rearward position', jet i have run out of sliding space the engine mounts provide.

The only thing i havent done sovar is slot the engine mount 'subframe' plate

shown in this picture;

hole-position-1630.jpg

where the manual states; Drill a 7/16" hole 13/16" (.81") below the lower hole, and about 1/8" forward.

If you want to increase the range of adjustment for moving the engine forward or rearward, the lower hole can be slotted as shown by the oval.

Here is my 'problem' the T5 gearbox doesnt seem to line out in the way the manual claims, in fact it feels more foreward ( i have no issues with the stock mounting ear being in the way, plus my shifter comes up in front of the stock location. plus i feel the entire engine can move back about 1,5 inches. So some slotting doesnt cut it

Does anyone else have this problem ?

I guess ill take my engien out and slot the mountplates aswel .. but this only saves me so much .. and i feel i have room to get much more ( i dont need the hood latch as i run pins ) so further back means easer gearbox fitment

Hope the hear options of what i could be doing wrong.. or does the JTR manual have an error here ?

so you SBC v8 s130 brothers ... shed some light how are you running ?

The only solution i can think of is redrilling the ground engine mount completly so i win an inch orso.

mount-d-side-1684.jpg

Just to double check, you have the motor mounts that look like this, correct?

It's been a couple years since I did the actual motor swap in my ZX, but the major issue I remember running into was the trans running into the tunnel, but I'm using a 700r4, not a T5. The T5 is (from what I remember) smaller. Double check you're not contacting anywhere on the bellhousing, frame rail, etc maybe?

yes i have the full JTR kit. and in not running into anything.. its just that im slid completly rearward and in my opinion cpil slide another inch orso if the mounts would allow it.

can anyone put up pictures of:

A: engine mounts

B:distributor to firewall clearance

thanks in advance

Slot out the engine subframe, i did it on my zx with th350 . I did that so i could get max adjustment out of the jtr kit the first time. I also had to trim an ear off the tran bell housing with air saw once i started to bolt trans in. It was not a structural piece but a casting piece. I will be putting a 700r4 in my zx in a few weeks because i need overdrive. I will post any changes i made.

Slot out the engine subframe, i did it on my zx with th350 . I did that so i could get max adjustment out of the jtr kit the first time. I also had to trim an ear off the tran bell housing with air saw once i started to bolt trans in. It was not a structural piece but a casting piece. I will be putting a 700r4 in my zx in a few weeks because i need overdrive. I will post any changes i made.

You mean the 'plate mounts'

hole-position-1630.jpg

Or the mounts that bolt up to the block itself ? can you post some pictures of the engine in the bay for reference ?

The t5 has no issues whatsoever fitmentwhise

Thanks

I think i just won the last cm's !!! so im happy with the way it sits!

I slotted the ground plates, now the distributor sits FLUSH with the fire wall! ( about 5mm clearance) it should make for the stock shifter location with the T5 !!

Thanks for the help