HybridZ

Injector cleaning for junkyard injectors

Xnke

Ok, so those of you (like myself) who pull fuel injectors from the junkyard to do your barbed-to-O-ring conversions, get them cleaned!

This is the junk that came out of 6 Mitsu 4G64 injectors, type INP-065 275cc/min. Really easy to pull from Mitsubishi Galants, two bolts and they're 11mm o-ring types. 5-6$ each at Pull-a-Part type places, usually.

DSCN2125.jpg

That's lacquer thinner, BTW, and was crystal clear when i started cleaning. The injectors were scrubbed down on the exterior PRIOR to being flushed and backflushed into this bucket. That's two passes forward and backward, from 6 injectors! That's a LOT OF CRUD!

After flushing, I replaced all the o-rings and the filter screens, and now they're ready to use. Sure, not as good as if i sent them out to be cleaned, but certainly good enough to run, they all seem to flow within a few percent, as timed by my stopwatch and a graduated cylinder.

No, these are going into a somewhat built L29, and no, i'm going to be using megasquirt.

They are 10cc's bigger than stock injectors, and have faster opening times, so you'll be running rich with these on a stock L28ET with the stock ECU.

But they are High impedance injectors, so make sure you've got the correct ECU setup; these injectors do not use dropping resistors.

I use a pulser I built, and hit them at 10Hz pulses to flush them. After doing the first 16 of them by hand by slamming them with 12V, I got tired of hitting the button, so built the pulser. These are high-impedance injectors I'm working with, so the 12V is fine on them.

From the photo above, I'm pretty sure no one cares what kind of gas they run in there '94 galant...all four sets of injectors I pulled from the galants were from '94 models, and all four sets were just as gross.

Nasty stuff.

Any details on the pulser? I keep telling myself I need to make a backflush rig at some point...

Likewise! I even have a wood frame I built from a couple pieces of scrap I happened to notice would be the perfect size for such a thing. Add a stack or two of stock 280ZX fuel rails, a junkyard pump, and you're 70% there. Just, power and control.....