HybridZ

Cowl/Valence removal/re-install

jeromio

Like many old 240Zs, mine likes to fill up the footwells with water when it rains.

Recently I did some investigation. Obviously the corner of the windshield leaks - despite my silicone efforts. But, that's more of a drip. Both sides leak, but only the passenger side forms puddles. What I noticed was a steady trail of water from the firewall. What this suggests to me is that the fresh air intake is some how leaking.

So, How do I remove that cowl/valence piece (the sheetmetal in front of the windshield and behind the hood) without wrecking my paint?

Owen, I seem to recall there being some bolts involved - possibly behind the front fenders. It's been at least six months since I pulled mine though so I could be mistaken.

FWIW - there's a book out there on restoring older Zs. This book rox! It's got tricks and tips for pulling all sorts of parts off and refinishing them - mucho' reccomended!

(Dualing posts, what can I say? Speedracer posted same time I did)

There are five or six Philips head screws at the front edge of the cowl panel, just below the back edge of the hood.

You have to remove the nuts on the wiper arm pivots, remove (pull off) the wiper arms, and the screws I mention above to get the panel off. After those things are out of the way, lift the front edge of the panel, then pull forward. There aer 4 or five little "fingers" that go into holes with plastic inserts just below the windshield.

You guys need to get a manual for the Z! smile.gif

[This message has been edited by pparaska (edited December 20, 2000).]

Heh, I've got a manual an deven did this - but it's been awhile. :-P

MSA sells the rubber wiper boots and the plastic cups under the windshiled - you may want to order some while you're at it. Vacuum that area REALLY good - leaves and crud can get in there and make a real mess. Behind the fenders is even worse I'm afraid.

I own that "How to restore your Z" book - just can't seem to find it. My 5 yr old is the natural suspect.

Anyblank, I guess what I need to do is order any and all rubber parts associated with this area, since I'm pretty sure it's causing some kind of leak. I'm thinking that either the seal around the fresh air intake is bad or perhaps the seal between the firewall and the front of the inner cowl lip - or both.

Also, my car has these tiny - maybe 1/8" - fittings coming out of the firewall right up there (engine compartment side). There's 2 of them with some dried up, cracked clear tubing and some plastic fittings attached - but they don't join up or really go anyplace. Very odd. Like maybe some bizarre portion of a windshield washer system or some such.

Guest Anonymous

I think those "fittings" are drain tube connections...plastic tubing pushes on these and runs down far enough to drain water away from the car...they are usually plugged with crud...