HybridZ

Help! Nissan Datsun 1974 260z info/questions

Hello, I'm a young driver after my first car and since I work in an insurance agency I came across an older women selling her Nissan Datsun 1974 260z with duel corroborators. I don't know much about cars. But it looks like a really cool car to have. I haven't been able to find much info about the car or about how much it could be worth. It only has 25,000 miles on it atm though. She said she thought I should research it more before looking at it and her only warning was that it ate a lot of gas, that I probably wouldn't get much more than 20 miles to the gallon with it at best.

Thoughts? Help? Please :)

I'm not sure how these forums work so if you want you could contact me at andrew.lambchop@hotmail.com

Thanks much!

-Andrew

OK...You've got lots to learn, so hunker down and start doing some searching! First off, don't be so sure about that 25k miles, unless you have seen significant proof. I believe that odometer doesn't have a 100,000 mile digit, so it could be 125k or 225k.

You are going to need to get to know these forums, so get used to it. A very significant amount of knowledge can be found on them.

Don't forget to check out other z car forums on the web, there is a ton of info out there.

Good luck

S30 Z's ARE a really cool car to have. The value of these cars are like any other car, it depends on the condition. There should be plenty of posts on what to look for when purchasing, a simple search should be able to give you more than enough information to get started.

If you aren't familiar with cars and automotive know-how and dont want to learn from first hand experience, the Z might not be for you. If you want to learn more about cars and how to work on them, the Z is probably perfect for you. It has a simple layout and is pretty straight-forward...But be warned, you will most likely have to work on this car. It will most likely be an ongoing project. Things will break, things will malfunction, and you will have to fix them. Parts will be harder to find, and you will have to think outside of the box from time to time. Some drivers on this forum use their Z for their daily driver. Many others keep their Z as their weekend car. If you're young, have limited income, and need daily reliable transportation, think about this purchase and ask yourself if you really need it and have the funds to maintain it.

Please dont think I'm trying to discourage you, I'm just being realistic. Good luck and hope you find the answers you're looking for.

• Like 1

Guest Rolling Parts

These are great cars to learn on BUT don't buy it as your primary car.

20mpg is about normal, these cars were made as sports cars so don't expect Honda Civic mileage.

Price? If it's in good shape and less than 3 grand then it's a steal.

I'd be surprised if it really had only 25K... odds are 125K or 225K or ???

Be sure to check for rust in all the usual places. Make sure the wiring hasn't been hacked up, which has been the case in 3 different Z's I've owned. Even though the 260 is similar to the 240 and 280, there are somet things on the 260 only that will be harder to come across (it was only made in '74). The early 260's will have the smaller bumpers like the 240's. The later 260's will have the park bench bumpers like the '77 & '78's do. If I had to choose a 260, I'd prefer the early 260's. More than likely you'll need carb work or replacement. Good luck. If you get that 260, be sure to post pics.