HybridZ

weatherstripping

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

The windshield weatherstripping MSA sells for $50 - is this Nissan part, or copy? If copy, is it of sufficient quality? And if a copy, how much is the nissan gasket?

My windshield seems to dribble jsut a bit of water when it rains for 3 days straight and I wanna fix it and keep my rust-free car that way.

Also, when replacing the weatherstripping(I plan on POR-15ing the metal underneath the gasket) would it be advantageous to put a bit of silicon between the gasket and body and between the gasket and windshield? Or just put it in dry?

Also, my windshield has a light streak from a dirty/bad/broken wiper. Are $100 windhsields you get from any glass dealer good enough quality to use? I bet nissan glass is ridiculously expensive, no?

------------------

Morgan

http://z31.com/~morgan/s30

http://carfiche.com

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Fast Frog

Morgan:

MSA windshield Gasket/weatherstripping are of good quality. I've had several windshields and rear deck glass replaced with this MSA product. Generally, the installers (I don't do it myself-I'd break something)use good quality silicon sealer to mate the gasket to the glass and to the metal areas that make contact with the gasket.

I don't remember if these gaskets are Nissan oem or aftermarket.

Rick

[This message has been edited by Fast Frog (edited February 07, 2001).]

Guest Anonymous

I watched the guys put in the last windshield that I had installed. They used an epoxy type sealant that is very adhesive and very permanent. They put a little in each side of the rubber and then wiped it away where it was mashed out after installation.

I was not terribly pleased with the installation but I attribute that to the poor judgement, on my part, of purchasing Precision Replacement rubber.

I now have Nissan rubber waiting to be installed.

Craig

Check around because my local Guardian glass shop come out to my house and installed a brand new tinted windshield for $108.46 (yes I said installed for $108.46!). I did, however, supply a new rubber gasket. They used a butyel (sp) sealer on it.

I used the complete Precision kit on the whole car and it worked very well except for the doors. The Precision door weather is not metric and a little to hard so you end up slamming the doors all the time. I switch to the factory door seals and everything was OK.

Many people have reported the proble with the door seals to Precision but they have never fixed it.