HybridZ

280z won't start

This might be something that has been answered before, but i am new to this and wasnt able to find any definite answers.

I just recently bought a 78 280z and drove it home in fine, working condition. It had a bit of a vibration at low rpm's, but nothing to bad. The next day i tried starting it and it took a couple of tries. The engine would crank but it took a little while for it to actually start going, then it died by the time i got to the end of the driveway. I just figured it didnt like the cold, so i started it up again and drove it around for a bit.

Then i parked it at a friends house. And when i tried to get it going again the engine would crank but wouldnt start. I pulled off some of the fuel line hoses to see if it was getting gas, and gas came out for a few seconds, then nothing. I tapped the gas peddle, tried turning the key again, but no more gas came out of the hose. It's a full tank and gas seems to be getting out of the gas tank, through the filter, but no further. I hardly know anything about cars and how to fix them, so any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Should i get a fuel pressure gauge? how would i go about figuring out what the problem is?

Ill keep on searching forums, but any help would be great.

**I also just filled the tank with gas right after i bought it, so could it be that the gas i got wasnt good?

No Fuel = No Bang. Sounds like a bad fuel pump. It could also be a clogged fuel filter/strainer.

Most electric fuel pumps, like the stock pump installed on the 280z turn on when the ignition is turned to the ON position (without starting). If you listen closely, you will hear this sound coming from the rear of the car, it will come on for a second and then stop. It does this to build pressure for the fuel injectors. Get a fuel pressure gauge and see if pressure is building. Check the pressure with the FSM and make sure it is within spec. If it is a little low it could be the filter. If it is very low, replace both filter and pump.

It could also be a bad plug wire. To check for this, pull off one plug wire at a time from the spark plug (only 1 at a time!) and have a friend turn the key while you hold the wire 1" away from the valve cover. Check for spark on each wire. If you get a bad one, replace the plug wires, dizzy, and distributer cap.

It could also be a bad or clogged injector... for that one, you will have to reference the FSM.

Given your description, I vote for fuel pump.

Find the FSM.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=114408

http://www.xenons30.com/files/FSM/1978%20280z%20FSM.zip

Find the Fuel Pump and fuel filter

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Electric-Fuel-Pump-Airtex_5772834-P_52_R|GRPFUE2AMS_936382302___

Go to town!

Edited by PSL_240z
note....

first off cheapest thing to do is change the fuel filter probably $10. next get some fuel line hose, hose clamps, tee and a pressure gage. Probably run you under $20. put the tee in the fuel line after the fuel filter hook the pressure gage up to the open leg on the tee. See picture. what part of WA are you in? Check our club zccw.org plenty guys willing to give advice come to a meeting

Fuel pressure checker_thumb.jpg

Edited by roger.svoboda
clarity

hey, thanks for all this help. The previous owner told me a couple things to try, like checking the fuses and doing stuff with the vacuum line. So ill try all that stuff first, then go for the fuel gauge.

@roger.svoboda

im in walla walla, lol wheres the club at? thatd be pretty sweet, ive got a friend with some z's thatd probably wanna go too.

:)

Roger knows what he's talking about. I had some problems when i first bought my Z, and he was the guy that helped me out.

Make sure when you test the fuel pressure after the fuel filter, guarantee that you know exactly how to hook it up. Take note that the rubber hoses going from the fuel filter to the fuel rail WILL be difficult to take off depending on the state their in. Take your time to get them off and be careful not to "rip" them at the ends. What i had found that worked for me was to get some sort of clamp and right where the rubber hose connects to the fuel rail, clamp it tight enough to where it grabs the rubber hose but not too tight where it wont be able to "pull" on the hose to get it off of the fuel rail. That worked good for me and wish i would have tried it before the 15 mins of workin at it.

Once you get that all done and you are ready to hook up the fuel gauge tester, make sure all connections are VERY secure and tight. I had some leaks as i thought i had put it on tight enough, i was wrong and some fuel had squirted out.

Tell us how it goes.

Thanks again for all this help.

Alright, so im not gonna have any money till thursday, so ill try the fuel filter and fuel pressure gauge stuff then. But today i was looking over the hoses and noticed that the hose right next to the one that used to have gas in it was really cracked. Is that the vacuum line? could that have anything to do with the car not starting?

If you are talking about the hose right next to the hose that exits the fuel filter into the fuel rail, there is one right below that or to the left. On my 280zx, it is the fuel return line i believe...

Check to see if the line you are talking about, connects to the fuel rail.

One thing that could really help you more than you know right now, is to get a Factory Manual for your car. Haynes is a good one. You MUST get it if you plan to do ANY work on your car by yourself, or plan to keep it for a great while.