HybridZ

Couple S30 aftermarket gauge questions....

Kurai

Hey all I have been reading thru this thread or that looking at aftermarket gauge options for the S30 and have a few questions....down the road ill be doing a 1jz swap into a 73 and notice that the center gauges are dual except the clock.....now id like to run aftermarket autometer digital gauges but am not sure what to cut to use in the centers place. (other then the clock that can go np)

Thats the first thing im wondering the second is for those that have replaced the driver two gauges clusters (speedo/tach) what did you do about the little things like the turn signal indicators?

My idea is to replace those down the line as well and remove the cig lighter and fab in a shift light about the same diameter since i dont smoke and wont allow smoking in the car as it is, but am just unsure of what i should keep/upgrade and what wont be needed (ie fuel indicator will be a must)

So what kinda tips/advice can you guys that have already done this sorta mod give me before i get going in a completely wrong direction?

Also I have seen ppl mention this "painless wiring harness" when talking about JZ swaps but have no idea where to get it and what all it is capable of or what all it is used for when doing these swaps?

I think as most of us that have done gauge swaps have realized, is that one gauge in the center three will have to go. So for me, I decided to have the most important gauges there, which was; temp, oil pres, volt. I stuck the fuel gauge on the center console. I also have a fuel pressure gauge, but it resides under the hood.

As far as the big two gauges, I took them apart, drilled into the face and installed LED's in them as 'turn signals' and 'high beam indicator'...

I went with AutoMeter gauges, but if I had to do it all over again, I would spend more time and strongly consider the Speedhut gauges. A little searching will reveal several installs on both makes of gauges.

That's my .02 , hope that helps...

Cheers

Ryan~

Haha, I agree with Hoov. The flasher makes plenty of noise, and the high beams are pretty noticeable, either that or someone will flash you letting you know that your high beams are on. So, to throw in another .02, and if I were to do it again, I wouldn't bother with the indicators. That, and they were kind of a PITA to install...

Cheers

Ryan~

Hmmm thanks for the info and yeah i have seen many ppl talking about the turn signal issue....what is the biggest advantage of using the Speedhut over Autometer?

From what I get, people like them because they can customize them, but personally I choose the autometers, because the company is/has going to be in business for a long time and have a reputation for being accurate.

From what I get, people like them because they can customize them, but personally I choose the autometers, because the company is/has going to be in business for a long time and have a reputation for being accurate.

The accuracy is what im after as well and have a vision of having some nice digital gauges lol :icon6:...I want a end state of a classic look with state of the art electronics

I have a 1/74 260z and im doing all autometer phantom gauges. 2 5/8 fit well in the top pods and I customized my center console and removed the switches under the radio and made a pod for 3-2 1/16 (oil press, water temp, volts) again autometer. I removed my Tach because it didnt work when I got it, but plan on 5 inch tach and speedo.

Now for the turn signals....since ive lived without them for a few months (removed tach) I have since installed a "LOUD" turn signal indicator, which in my opinion is not loud at all....but I CAN hear it over my exhaust at lights which helps....My plan is to put 2 LEDs in the steel grill/heater finisher plate under the windshield ...one LED for BOTH signals that will flash when either of the signals are on, and another thats blue for high beams.

Hope to get some pics in the upcoming weeks..

Nice accurate digital gauges are lots of money.....look for Defi gauges

defi_bf_gauges.jpg

also....wouldnt hurt to SEARCH....theres a lot of info on this topic

Oh, I've seen these Defi gauges before, but I haven't researched them. They look pretty cool, I like how they black out when off.

Theres a few companies out there that make similar style gauges that "black out" when off....mostly cheap knockoffs....

if anyone has any first hand experience with these, it would be great to hear it

• 3 weeks later...