HybridZ

How to enlarge intake bore

zane9000

If you are porting aluminum, get the wide fluted bits.

The flutes are wide for that exact reason. :icon14:

Haha good point. I'm surprised Sears and Craftsman bits are just as inexpensive as Harbor Freight. Thats wickedly cool, I think I may go pick some up, preferably Craftsman. Hopefully they lifetime warranty them. I was using one of our bits and it broke in half. :/ It was like a $30 bit too.

I always use the sanding barrels with my dremel, works for me.

Thats good for smoothing and polishing however it takes a while to take off a substantial amount of material. Sanding rolls are fun for ports but using them on rods, no fun. When they break apart, they fly in your face. Ah!

:violin:

• 1 year later...

I use a carbide bit like the bottom one on a pneumatic die grinder

BigValves-I.jpg

1.4airdiegrinder.jpg

youl want the larger flutes for alum.

and as far as it not coming out as even as you want it too, well that part just takes practice

this guy hit the nail on the head!!

You'd really want to use a carbide aluminum bit for large removals but normally this is not what most people are after as they just want to port-match or enlarge the ports just a little. I prefer the use of several grades and sizes of flap wheels. Not only can you adjust the cross sectional area that you are sanding by using different widths but you can choose different diameter wheels and grits depending on your port size and how much you wish to remove or what finish you wish to leave. Just my .02 but this method is also very easy for the DIYer to do in their garage with either a drill or die grinder, plus it doesn't remove too much material too fast which cuts down on the "OOPPS!" factor.