HybridZ

CompHood

Guest 1z2c

Back in '76 whilst I was beginning life as a young man in Tulsa, I came across a performance shop that had a Z in it with a 289 Ford V8 in it, with one of these scoops on it. He had the Cobra oval air cleaner under the scoop. This then was the spark, that 25 years later, manifested itself into my monster in the garage. It's amazing what one item can do to an impressionable youth. I'll not ever forget that vision and feeling in seeing that car.

Terry

Guest Anonymous

Yeah I think I remember reading about that hood (on Zhome maybe?) it was a last ditch effort (if the customer agreed) to fix a overheating problem (might have been something to do with vaporlock due to heat, I don't remember reading that, but could well be true). I very much like the looks of it and by all means a air cleaner would just HAVE to poke through that dude. If it can't be found, could probably be fabbed either in metal (start practicing your stretching and shrinking and english wheeling) or in glass using Terry's flower foam method (which was definately a interesting read, and yeah I have to agree Terry's hood is pretty damn cool.). If you find it available somewhere please post it.

Thanks,

Lone

quote:

Originally posted by blueovalz:

in '76 whilst I was beginning life as a young man in Tulsa. I came across a I'll not ever forget that vision and feeling in seeing that car. Terry

Terry,

I as I read that I could hear the Celtic music playing in the background.

By the way; I remember first seeing your car in the Z magazine; felt the same way-Very Nice Ride you have.

I was even contemplating the FordV8 due to it being slightly lighter than the SBC.

Kevin,

Yeah, I like that CompHood. Very 70s looking wink.gif.

The first Z I ever saw in a magazine that got my attention was in a HotRod magazine back in 1980, I believe. It was a red Scarab owned by a dentist or doctor. I was in high school, had a hopped up 70-1/2 Camaro, and friends with Shelby GT500s, SS454 and SS396 Chevelles, etc., but this canyon burner really turned me one. It was the beginning of my desire for a V8 Z.

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project

pparaska@home.com

Pete's V8 Datsun 240Z Pages

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Since we are discussing hood, and overheating, I have a question. I live in Texas, and it gets kinda hot sometimes, I have triple webers on my 80zx, would a hood scoop over the carb area help alot with getting fresh cooler air to the carbs? Or should I try to fabricate something to duct air in from the front of the car. I had a vapor lock problem on my old 210 with dual carbs, and ended up fabricating an aluminum box that drew air from the front of the car, and it made a big difference in the heat. Thanks.