HybridZ

The "Bad Boy" of yester year

vega

So I was thinking today. Now keep in mind that I am 24 years old so this is going to skew somethings. Most of today's young woman are not really looking for something much different than they ever really were back in the day. This is a generalization of course but, I find that most woman are looking for the "bad boy" or at least are falling for them. Then in the end when they get older and more mature, they want the bad boy that in the end is not really a bad boy but just has confidence in who they are, and at the same time can be sensitive etc.

Anyhow that in itself gets into a different discussion for another time and that is not exactly what I am looking to discuss. What I have found in common with woman now and before (meaning before my own personal time) is that the image of the bad boy is not that much different. He wears leather, tends to wear a lot of black clothing (its sleek and mysterious), may own a Harley Sportster. Now the thing I find HAS changed is the cars that these woman imagine this bad boy to be driving. That is what I would like to discuss.

As time has gone by the the "bad boy"'s car has changed. Through out the years what have you found that the guys around you that have the "bad boy image" have been driving for a car? Was it a mustang? Vette? etc?

So I am going to start from a more logical beginning in time range.

What car did he drive in the 1960s?

1970's?

1980's

1990's

and now the 2000's?

I personally found that in the 2000's there has been a slight lean much more to the import cars. BUT when it comes down to it, the 350z/g35, mustangs, evo's, sti's, and f-bodies still dominate this era. The guys with the civics, eclipses, 240sx cars are still boy racers, and give off the I'm just a kid vibe to most females out there not the more manly "bad boy" image they tend to fall for.

So that in mind (and I am noticing I am getting a little redundant here). What do you all think these guys drive in these time periods?

On a side note PLEASE I really don't want to get into the politics of this discussion I am looking for strait forward answers (opinions on what you think, not your opinion on what you think about what others think- I don't care and that just causes pointless arguments so lets just keep that out of this please).

When my paerents where dating back in the mid 70's my Dad (who I would concider a "bad boy") had a 67 Firebird. My parents broke up for a while, and my Mom started dating some football player at her High School. This big stud football player drove a little VW gia. One day the football player was droping my Mom off after a date, my Dad just happends to be in the area, sees this happen, and waits for the dude to get back in his car. Long story short, my Dad chases this dude around for an hour or so, scares the crap out of him, and in 1979, I was born. So, my vote for the late 60's is the Firebird

When my paerents where dating back in the mid 70's my Dad (who I would concider a "bad boy") had a 67 Firebird. My parents broke up for a while, and my Mom started dating some football player at her High School. This big stud football player drove a little VW gia. One day the football player was droping my Mom off after a date, my Dad just happends to be in the area, sees this happen, and waits for the dude to get back in his car. Long story short, my Dad chases this dude around for an hour or so, scares the crap out of him, and in 1979, I was born. So, my vote for the late 60's is the Firebird

That is a bad ass answer man lol!

You know whats kind of funny is now I am a Dad with two girls, one of which is almost 13 and will probably be dating in the next couple years. If I could, I would lock her in her room and let her out when she turns 30... but that's not practical. So instead, I have a Z... which I don't know is all that "bad a$$", but it's pretty quick, got a pretty loby cam and loud exhaust so it may be enough to keep the boys at bay. If not, I guess I'll try the line my father in law used on me. " We live in the dessert, I have a shotgun and a pickup truck... no one will ever find the body." In the end I don't know if it's so much the car the bad boy drives, but how far the bad boy is willing to push it.

BTW, my Wife and I have been married for almost ten years, and I am still afraid of my Father in law.

That's hilarious man. Hey you should ask him (father in law) what he drove in the day. Out of curiosity what motor are you running? what kind of power you think your making with the cam and exhaust? what did you do to tune it?

-----------

Any other thoughts on the subject? ideas etc?

For the last half a century, I'd pretty much consider the F-Body (Superchicken, Camaro) the defacto car for someone who needed to portray themselves as a hard ass without actually being able to do so by their lonesome.

My father in law drove a Road Runner.

I have the stock block with flat top pistons, a P90 head, Schnider (soon to be changed) .460/.460 270/280 cam, Motorsport 3 into 2 header, Arizona Z intake and Carter 500 CFM carb. Last year I was using a narrow band and my butt to tune, this year I have use of a wide band, so I should be able to get it pretty close. I love the adjustability of the Carter/Edelbrock carbs. I can compleatly re-tune it in about five min., and not pull the carb or spill any fuel. My last upgrade was a 3.90 rear end, just waiting on my rear a-arm bushings to come in to fininsh. I get to do the dreaded spindle pin removal, wish me luck!

Sorry, don't want to jack your thread...