HybridZ

Advise on TT V8 setup

Well, was kind of looking for just the throttle bodies and parts. If I buy the Holley commander setup I have to use their intake and their computer. I'm not yet sure that's the path I want to take although having it all in one package DOES have some attraction. Am half tempted to simply make an adapter plate for a Ford throttle body. At sizes up to 90+mm I'm sure it would flow enough air and I'd just have to figure out an air cleaner assembly for it icon_smile.gif Ford TB's are cheap and easy to come by...

Guest Anonymous

Yup, kinda what I was looking at as well. Heres a picture and a link for a Plenum adapter from White Racing and Marine, its really for a GN with a 4bbl manifold, but that shouldn't be a big deal. It fits a Ford 90mm throttle body in the front of it. Some hose out to the front of the car, air filter... and voila.

plen90mm.jpg

http://members.aol.com/bigturbo1/buick1.html

Its a bit pricey at $175 bucks, but not a bad looking cast piece. If you can get some aluminum plate and a aluminum elbow piece of pipe it could be tigged together as well, probably even with the welding it would be cheaper.

Regards,

Lone

[ August 07, 2001: Message edited by: lonehdrider ]

quote:

Originally posted by pparaska:

...,if the turbos are sized/used in a optimum part of their compressor map..,Just wondering about the need for intercooling at lower boost..,

Turbo Guru's,

I've recently found myself reading up on the Turbo scene & surprisgingly understanding what I was reading. Had the book for about a year & didnt really understand it; since my most recent breakthru w/relationships between airflow, density & compression I thought I would re-read the Turbo book (amazing how the knowledge dominoes fall once one light bulb comes on).

My question is since Pete broght it up (optimum turbo) my question is what is considered optimum for an engine. I understand tight, moderate, broad turbo maps & understand the rpm's will be a huge factor...but what about "Turbine Speed". When comparing turbo maps what is considered "Spinning your Turbo" too fast or too slow?

As you look at the surge line & plotting your "Turbo Efficiency" for your given environment...what speed is too fast for the turbine; 70k, 80k, or 90k & above?

Pete, about the heat exchanger -vs- low boost; wouldnt the intercooler's rating depend on how much the temp is actually lowered? Wouldnt low boost actually benefit from exhaust temp's being lowered slightly...again-depending on the intercoolers rating(?).

Cool discussion; especially since I've been reading on turbo's lateley. I've even entertained the TT 4.3/V6 set up in a Z; or even the TT GNZ...also just dreaming.

Once again my ideas out weigh my pocket book.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still a "Non-Turbo" Inliner)

[ August 08, 2001: Message edited by: Kevin Shasteen ]

Guest Anonymous

I know the feeling Kevin, my idea's are way out of whack with my money as well, but hey its free right? icon_smile.gif What turbo book are you reading? I found an old one to replace an old copy I lost of Turbochargers by Hugh Macinnes. Its an old book with a few newer additions, but it has some good theory (and well I couldn't find Corky Bell's book yet.. icon_smile.gif ).

From what I've read Kinser feels that about 5psi to maybe 7psi is the tops before a intercooler is required. I'm assuming at that pressure it doesn't heat the charge up much.

He has a rather long equation for establishing the correct turbo that would take forever for me to put up here as math isn't my gig. I'm sure one of our mathmetician's can rip a formula off the top of they're head. icon_smile.gif If you have, or run across that book, check it out. The down side is many of the Turbo's he mentions have long since quit being produced, or they were bought by another company years back.

Regards,

Lone

Guest Tht1KSguy

hey guys thanks for all the great info on the board.. i have a '74 260 that i'm just starting on.. still deciding what power source i'll be going with.. as for the turbo question check out "Sport Compact Car" magazine this month and last those guys are great at explaining things... that magazine is full of great tech articles.. and not to mention the great looking Z and 510 on the cover

c ya

Ryan

quote:

Originally posted by lonehdrider:

..,What turbo book are you reading? I found an old one..,by Hugh Macinnes.

Lone, that is the same book I'm reading; upon my initial search for turbo books I found them somewhat "Scarce" (few & far between)...,

5psi to 7psi...from my reading of this book I kind of got the feeling low boost was a rather limiting factor for intercoolers/just wanted to get a consensus from the board.

...He has a rather long equation for establishing the correct turbo that would take forever for me to put up here as math isn't my gig..,

Lone,

You should really & I mean really get in to understanding Excel; I've planned on, but havent found the time lately, to put his formula in excel; whereas the perameters he uses can be cross ref'd to said perameters...this way when a change is made to one of the inputs all the outputs automatically fall in line & make the appropriate changes (very cool-this modern day stuff). I've avoided computers all my life till recently-they really are a time saver when it comes to math calculations.

My take on the turbo & older books is similar to that of areodynamics...sure some tech is gonna make an incredible breakthru but most of the problems have been weeded out w/the initial foundational research of yesteryears (the early 1900's). The only difference being moderate subtle changes & the biggest improvement in the field of "Metalurgy".

Ross,

Thanks for the suggestion about the magaizine-I'll have to check it out & welcome to the site.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

Guest Tht1KSguy

Kevin go to http:web page for easy access to the story and some great pics.. i think you'll like the car since it's a turbo inliner... i just had to put the rear 3/4 veiw as my wallpaper here at work

c ya

Guest super280z

hey Lone, that web page with TT capri cracked me up anyone with a duct taped, jbwelded, pvc piped low 10 second car seriously deserves a standing ovation. icon_biggrin.gif

i'm actually still cracking up about it.

As for Tim, well.. good luck dude. the turbo fad has recently come to my household with my purchase of a garrett from a junkyard for 25 bucks. they really are a great way to put power where other methods cant. Gayle Banks has been making TT setups for the sbc for years and i've seen some setups on older vettes where the engine compartment it relitavely the size of the z. im sure you'll do your homework before attempting this retro-fit. you might call Majestic turbo in Waco Tx, 1-800-231-5566 (toll free i might add..) ask for Kevin he'll hook you up with anything you might want to know. good luck

Thanks for all the information and sources of information, guys.

I am planning on giving this project the go-ahead. I will probably spend a week or so calling around to get some information from some or all of these sources listed in these posts, and I will take lots of pictures and let you guys know how it's going. If anyone at all is interested in this project, let me know and I will make double of any specialized fabricated pieces which I will have to make (mainifolds ect) so I can get them copied as necessary without tearing the car apart.

As it stands now:

The car is bear shell, except for rear suspension (so I can pick up the car at the front and move it around). I have a sbc (complete but in need of building for the turbo setup) which I will use for a mockup dummy to fabricate all the necessary pieces.

I estimate that by Xmas, I will have the turbos set up, if only as a mockup, anyway.

I am still undecided as to whether I should use a TH400 (which I have already), or order a 600HP capable 700R4 (4L60), or get a T56 ($2000.00 used complete, or $3500.00 new complete from Chevrolet). I figure that with a hot cam, the overdrive for the second/third choice will be unnecessary (as the low revs will bring the engine off the torque peak and will probably bog down), and I am not going to be using this as a daily driver, but on the other hand, the overdrive might be nice?!?!?

Any suggestions or comments?

Tim

Tim, the aftermarket T-56 is $2295. Add a flywheel, PP, clutch (standard stuff for a T-5, not the weird T-56 stuff), standard bellhousing, etc. Can't see the whole thing going past $2800, if that. Huge chunk o' change.

http://www.sallee-chevrolet.com/BorgWarner/bwt56.html

I'm wondering if these cheap, strong Mopar A833 boxes (sse the other recent threads)won't easily adapt to the SBC.

Guest Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by super280z:

hey Lone, that web page with TT capri cracked me up anyone with a duct taped, jbwelded, pvc piped low 10 second car seriously deserves a standing ovation.
icon_biggrin.gif

i'm actually still cracking up about it.

Yeah, I thought it was amusing too. Specially the part where someone at the strip calls it a cobbled up piece of crap that couldn't do 13's, he corrects them by saying its a cobbled up piece of crap that run's 10's. I definitely give him a standing ovation for that. I also like it I guess because it kinda is a throwback to the old school spirit of drag racing, putting junkyard stuff together and going fast. His other car is a bit more high tech though with the SDS and fuel injection. icon_smile.gif

Regards,

Lone