HybridZ

Paint & Body books?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey guys. I've been reading the board for a while now and have a question that I haven't seen addressed in the archives.

Anybody know of any good books to learn about auto paint and body work? I've got my '72 240 apart in the garage and I'm ready to get started... As soon as I know what to do! icon_biggrin.gif

Also, can any of you guys in the Sacramento area recommend a good paint supply store?

Thanks!

Tim

Welcome to the Forum!

You can get good paint & body books at Barnes & Noble or the website for Classic Motorbooks. Not sure if you just want a book on the basics or if you are looking into customization. I recently bought an awesome, completely up to date book from Classic Motorbooks called "Cheap Tricks and Special FX" that is the best customization book I have ever seen for trick paint. The pictures and art is second to none. The scull stuff is not really for me, but some of it is fun to look at though. Good luck!

David

Guest Anonymous

Cool. Thanks for the welcome and the advice. I went out to my local PPG paint store and found a basic body work 'how-to' book that I'm going through now. I can't wait to get started! I just wish I could read faster. icon_smile.gif

Thanks again,

Tim

Tim:

Painting and basic body work is relatively easy. First of all you need some background and that is what you are establishing by reading and becoming familar with automotive paints. It is a totally different beast than anything you are probably used to. I say this from experience as that is what I did for several years (custom painting and finishing). All the fancy and trick stuff need practice and basic familiarity with spray equipment and associated tools. Talk at more length with your PPG Rep. Stop by some of your local "Known" custom paint shops. Talk with the owner, tell him your just starting out on a project and your curious about some of the different techniques that interest you. If the person is any kind of "professional" he will be more than happy to discuss some of the basics with you. If not, there is always someone just around the corner who will. Once you have some general working knowledge, and have decided that anythings possible, get with the dealer again and check out the equipment. Explain what you are trying to accomplish. He will be able to offer alternatives for materials, equipment and cost matters. Remember, custom finishes and finishing is just that. It is not uncommon to pay $500-700 for prep, primer, base, top and finish coat materials...and that's if your doing the labor yourself. And, thats still only doing the basic paint work. Flames, kandys, pearls, flakes, metallics, blends, fades, spiderwebbing, two stage epoxy finishes, stripes, lettering, and a host of others things all take time to learn and master. The biggest concern is having the confidence to do the job, and of course using the correct materials/equipment, but moreover "PRACTICE." I cannot stress that enough. That is how you learn, because it is your best teacher. Take your time, don't rush, and you will do just fine. If you need other questions answered...E-mail me. Good luck!

Van

Guest Anonymous

Van-

I appreciate the response. I'll definately try to follow that line of advancement. I've got a spare fender, door, and rear hatch that I will be using for practice... I figure that if I can give those parts a nice looking paint job then it's time to move on to the car. Not too worried about the cost at this point... I figure that I can get all the tools and materials that I need for less than what a body shop would charge for the job.. and I get to keep the tools! (and the knowledge!) icon_smile.gif

I've got some pictures and questions to go with them, but after spending most of the day in the shop I'm too tired to post them right now.

BTW, I'm planning on going with the original orange... but I am open to suggestions!

Later,

Tim

Glad to help...anytime. Send the pics and questions at your convenience. It doesn't sound like you are going to get to complicated with your shoot. I think you'll enjoy the satisfaction as your project progresses. Have fun!

Regards,

Van icon_cool.gif