HybridZ

Is this a five-speed?

BTF/PTM

I picked up a 5speed gearbox with the z I'm buying. I think I managed to find a fifth gear while fiddling with it (turning input shaft by hand & operating shift mechanism). I can only find two numbers, one is on the top of the bell housing and another is inside on the cover where the input shaft comes through. Can someone tell me what, if anything, these numbers indicate?

http://s132.photobucket.com/albums/q27/AwwsChwA/five%20speed/

Edited by BTF/PTM

The numbers on the outside of the tranny don't mean anything.

If you search around here there has been plenty of discussion surrounding how to identify which 5 speed transmission you have (early / late).

Edited by blue72

I just took it to both Aamco and Rapid Transmission. Neither group could find anything resembling a 5th gear. Nor could I beyond the "maybe that was it" feeling. I'm guessing on this, because I've never played with a RWD transmission while it's sat outside its chassis before, but I don't think a 5th gear should be a "maybe" feeling, rather it should be a solid click into another gear like the other 4.

I just took it to both Aamco and Rapid Transmission. Neither group could find anything resembling a 5th gear. Nor could I beyond the "maybe that was it" feeling. I'm guessing on this, because I've never played with a RWD transmission while it's sat outside its chassis before, but I don't think a 5th gear should be a "maybe" feeling, rather it should be a solid click into another gear like the other 4.

You should feel the same "pressure" or resistance when shifting over to reverse as you do when shifting to 5th. I'm betting you just have a 4 speed with sloppy or non-existant bushings.