HybridZ

'72 240z rusting away

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hello to all. I finally decided to make my first post here after reading all of the others for hours at a time. I've been wanting to build a V-8Z for a couple years now but haven't had the space until now. I have a question concerning a '72 240z I found. The guy that owns it is asking $450 for it but it has quite a bit of rust and doesn't run. As for the engine, I don't care because I've got a 350 in the garage that's currently being rebuilt to take the original's place but the rust scares me. I have some basic welding experience but not on cars and I'm wondering if this car is worth saving. Several body panels are rusted through as well as some good rust in the battery compartment. The frame rails appeared to have only minor surface rust but I can't say for sure. I didn't have time to inspect the floor pan but I'm sure it's rusted also. Other than the rust the car is completely straight and complete. Any input on the salvagability of this car would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Guest kc6wfs

If I had the choich,,,, i'd stay clear of it.

The front fenders and all can be replaced, floor pans ect, but if there is enough to be very noticable there I'm sure is a lot more than you have seen.

Sounds to me like it might be more of a pain than what it's worth.

Any one else?

Dave

See BLKMGK's "Boneheaded Moves I Wish I Hadn't Made FAQ" in the General Information section of the forum:

I think I posted that I regret ever buying a 260Z with rust--I'm shopping 240Zs now and I have turned down several due to rust. I will not let this happen again. Spending $3500 on a rust free Z is better than spending $450 on a rusty scupper. Do not do it!

David

Guest Anonymous

I appreciate the responses and I guess I'll go ahead and follow your advice. It's just so hard to find a 240 but I'm sure a good one will present itself eventually.

Hang tight Silver. Take a vacation south to California. Less rain down these parts. I looked for about four months. I was sure the '73 I found was rust free. It was even treated from the original dealer inside all the panels. When I pulled the motor and the front fenders I almost cried. Many hours spent grinding, sandblasting, welding. Holes in frame rails can bring on clinical depression. The guys are right, if you see rust there is much much more you don't see.

Dave's right I'm afraid. I bought into a rusty Z for much more thna $450 and it wasn't worth it. If there's rust you can see bet on finding more under the fenders, in the rockers, and all sorts of FUN places you don't want to fool with. Look longer, spend more, and get a car that doesn't require a ton of bodywork and paint - you WILL be bux up for having done so I promise. The swap is expensive enough without having to add bodywork and paint on top of it right off. Be patient, save money, hoard parts icon_biggrin.gif and you'll eventually find one even if you have to travel a little to get it....

Hold on to your bucks! Southern California is by far a Mecca for pristine Z's. The winter climate has some rain, but drastic it's definately not! Car costs are reasonable and you usually don't run the risk of excess rust, as you may encounter in other parts of the country. Your dream car is out there. Just take your time and your searching will pay off in the long run. It doesn't pay to rush through things. Your suppose to enjoy the experience of building up a car...not spend your time correcting unnecessary problems and encurring added expenses.

Regards,

Van

Guest Anonymous

Well, after much debate with myself I decided to go ahead and get the car. I didn't however pay 450 for it. I traded an amp from my car stereo that I had laying around and 250 cash. I figure even if the rust is too bad to salvage and can at least strip all of the valuable parts. I also think the engine will run if I just tinker with it enough. If so I could probably sell that and recoup some of the money I put in the car. I do appreciate the advice and I'm sure I'll sure regret getting this car in the end but it is afterall a project car. I also can't afford the insurance for another year anyways (damn that lead in my right foot).