HybridZ

rb20 tranny problem

putang29

ok, i bought an rb20det tranny and it came without a shifter an the plate. I pulled the plate and shifter from a 300zx z32 and heres my problem with it. The plate doesnt match up on the middle left side. The tranny I have has the one big bolt hole i was told for a shift assistor. When I do match it up, the shifter sits so far back that it only sits in 2, 4, or R gear. Any thoughts?

Edited by putang29

I'm slightly confused. I thought the RB20DET trans was the same as a Z31 (FS5W71C), not a Z32 (FS5R30A). I was going to get a short throw shifter for a Z31, but after reading that thread, I will probably wait until I can grab a striker arm off a non-RB trans...

I thought the same thing. I bought a short shifter and it wouldn't work. I was about to order another shifter and found out that there isn't a short shifter for a rb20. I found this link above. I was going to order a ka striker arm but I decided to modify the stock rb striker arm. I cut the arm and added 15 mm to the shaft and welded it all together. Then it fit like a dream. I also had to drill another hole on the shifter housing to fit on the rb trans and then fill up the other hole on the shifter housing.

I thought the same thing. I bought a short shifter and it wouldn't work. I was about to order another shifter and found out that there isn't a short shifter for a rb20. I found this link above. I was going to order a ka striker arm but I decided to modify the stock rb striker arm. I cut the arm and added 15 mm to the shaft and welded it all together. Then it fit like a dream. I also had to drill another hole on the shifter housing to fit on the rb trans and then fill up the other hole on the shifter housing.

The RB20DET transmission is the same as the 240SX. The only difference being the bell housing. The RB25DET trans is the same as the Z32 less the bell housing. Why don't you just use a 240SX shifter? I had to modify mine a bit but it worked out great.

Edited by z-ya

Z-ya, evidently there is a minor part that is different from the KA gearbox and RB20DET gearbox. Some of the aftermarket shifters designed to work with the KA/SR version of the trans don't work properly. It also happens to be the same gearbox in certain non-turbo Z31s, hence the Z31 shifter...

Edited by linluv84

its the plate that is the problem, and yes the z31 is the match for the rb20, not the z32 which i was confused about. I went ot the nissan dealerships parts dept. and they can get me the one I need, buuut, i have been on this project for a while and would rather do the same thing as the guy with the b&m shifter, minus the b&m shifter. Im just gona take it to a shop and have the modify the plate so that is fits and hchange out the striker arm with the one from the z32 tranny I got the plate from. Hopefully that works and this is the last issue on my build. Thanks guys.