Greg's BRE 240z down under

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CIMG0925.jpg

There`s something different about that spook air dam.I like yours better.They

both sure look nice!

Hey Newbie, fancy meeting you here. These messages must be making a 20,000Km round trip :)

Yeah, I was lucky enough to secure a spoiler just like the one in your photo. I added an extra 2 inches to the front lip and made a mold. I quite like the result too.

Edited by galderdi

My car has a low stance,if it looks good i`ll leave it at that. But, what you did to yours is a good idea that i might just do if i want it lower. Thanks.

I do have adjustable coilovers. So I can lower the car whenever I like. But I find the big wheels don't have enough clearance when I go lower and the bump steer increases. I have a few bumps around my yard so having a bit of clearance is good anyway. It doesn't seem to make much difference to my lap times.

• 3 weeks later...

Here are the latest pics of my car. I have it all ready for a huge trip over Easter 1000 miles each way down to Mt Panorama (Bathurst). For those who don't know, Mt Panorama is one of the world's best tracks. Not far behind Road America and Nurbergring. Check it out on Youtube if you get the chance but be warned the footage does not do it justice. You just don't get a feel for the angle of the track when you are driving up and particularly down the mountain.

post-9205-12699320440841_thumb.jpg

post-9205-12699320535158_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Bathurst was great. Managed to get down to a 3.09. Not the fastest of times but I am happy with it for a first attempt. I think I was doing something like 150MPH down the mountain. Struggled going up the mountain though. Here are a couple of pics. There will be more to come when the professional photographers finish.

post-9205-12706714717395_thumb.jpg

post-9205-12706714950923_thumb.jpg

Bathurst was great. Managed to get down to a 3.09. Not the fastest of times but I am happy with it for a first attempt. I think I was doing something like 150MPH down the mountain. Struggled going up the mountain though. Here are a couple of pics. There will be more to come when the professional photographers finish.

Here are the Bathurst videos. Sorry about the quality. I didn't realise the camera tends to point up. Next time I will need to have them further down my nose. :)

It also seems sooooo much slower on video

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have another motorkhana tomorrow so I won't be doing much on the car other than getting it ready. Then next week I have a sprint event at Stanthorpe (The missus is going wine tasting :) )

But I have mods planned / under way. Ok here is the list (Not in any particular order):

1.I will be changing from the standard battery to an AGM battery and moving it behind the passenger seat.

2.I have another plenum. It has already been ported and polished but I want to do a little more work on it. Then it will be installed.

3.I have some small rectangular headlights. These will go in the same spot above the front bumper where the 280z had their blinkers on the US models. Then I can remove the original headlights completly.

4.I have made some fiber glass fenders that include a filled in headlight bucket (saves about 20lb per side). I just need to paint them and fit them. (See the pictures)

5.I have just started making a fiber glass dash. Not sure how much weight it will save, but it will be significant.

6.I will remove the window mechansims and glass and replace with sliding perspex.

7.Replace the standard fan with an electric one.

post-9205-1274487393164_thumb.jpg

post-9205-12744874241547_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

Its been a while since I posted. Since then I have:

1.Changed from the standard battery to an AGM battery and moving it behind the passenger seat.

2.Replaced my old cracked dash with a fibreglass one. I removed the heavy old heater system and replaced with two 12v hair dryers plugged directly into the windscreen vents. It saves me over 10KG.

I am part way through an engine rebuild, aiming for another 30 or 40 RWHP

I am part way through a major change to the induction system. Replacing the 280zx EFI with tripple dellortos as throttle bodies and EFI over the top. I have removed all the chokes from the dellortos and I am having them machined out to 45mm. I have already received the 45mm butterflies. I can't wait to install the conversion. I plan to run a Megasquirt ECU.

I have received the CV conversion kit and will be installing it over the next few weekends.

I have an alloy radiator and electric fan that I will install when I swap the engines over.

I have attached a few recent pictures of the car. The first is at the Mt Cotton Hill Climb. The second is the fibreglass dash. Finally is my most recent track day at the Holden Driver Training Centre Norwell.

post-9205-060321100 1326785990_thumb.jpg

post-9205-074937400 1326786007_thumb.jpg

post-9205-079980700 1326786025_thumb.jpg

wow talk about chance encounter. I remember buying an SU manifold from you on ebay.. Your car still looks awesome :) do you go to lakeside much?

Yeah as much as I can. My last occasion was May 2011 and managed 95% of my laps in the 1:06 bracket.... I wish it were a regularity. 1:06 is not super quick but is respectable. I am still aiming for something like 1:03 or better when I finish my latest set of modifications. Realistically that will be a target for 2013.