HybridZ

How much rear suspension noise is too much?

So my 72 240z is an absolute blast to drive, and naturally it needs a lot of improvement becuz it's a 38-year-old car. Not surprisingly, I can hear mild clunks and bumps in the rear suspension as I shift gears and throttle brake and things like that. I don't hear any big kabangs or clatters or other noises like pieces are slamming together becuz the bushings are ground to powder, it just sounds like the bushings are aged and soft so they're allowing some component jostling. My question is, at what level of suspension noise should I park the car and plan for bushing replacement before something comes apart? I've read and heard that the noises I'm hearing are pretty routine and nothing to be concerned about, which is why I'm asking early. Thanks, guys.

One of the most common complaints on a Z is a clunking differential that makes noise when you get on and off the gas. The best solution in my opinion is the Ron Tyler diff mount. You can search here and at classiczcars.com and find numerous threads on them. It's a good, simple idea and is far superior to the backasswards stock front diff mount. I would bet that this solves most of your noise issues. I would start there and then work your way through any remaining issues.

You might check and make sure it works for the R180 that came stock in your 72. I think most people install it with the R200 from the later cars.

Edited by JMortensen

Awesome, thanks. My car already has a R200 in it B)

One of the most common complaints on a Z is a clunking differential that makes noise when you get on and off the gas. The best solution in my opinion is the Ron Tyler diff mount. You can search here and at classiczcars.com and find numerous threads on them. It's a good, simple idea and is far superior to the backasswards stock front diff mount. I would bet that this solves most of your noise issues. I would start there and then work your way through any remaining issues.

You might check and make sure it works for the R180 that came stock in your 72. I think most people install it with the R200 from the later cars.