HybridZ

painting crome bumpers

Guest Zpeed

Guest Zpeed

i have decided to go ahead and paint the front and rear bumpers, the sides are already painted just needs a little touch up, but the center of the bumper is cromed, how do i remove the crome...

or can i just primer over it and then paint,

or do i have to sand down the crome, i have no idea, i've just started to get into the body stuff, just learning

Guest Anonymous

I don't know what the professional recommendation is but I spray painted mine years ago and the finish is still in good shape. I had some old chromed, dented Z bumpers and decided to paint them black. So, I sanded them with a medium paper, put on 2 or 3 coats of primer (out of a can) and then did the same with a black topcoat. The car sits in the weather and the paint is still there to this day. That was my experience but I am sure that a chrome-free surface would adhere paint much better.

Craig

quote:

Originally posted by cborden:

I don't know what the professional recommendation is but I spray painted mine years ago and the finish is still in good shape. I had some old chromed, dented Z bumpers and decided to paint them black. So, I sanded them with a medium paper, put on 2 or 3 coats of primer (out of a can) and then did the same with a black topcoat. The car sits in the weather and the paint is still there to this day. That was my experience but I am sure that a chrome-free surface would adhere paint much better.

Craig

Same here dude icon_smile.gif

The guy doing body work on my Z told me the paint wouldn't stick very well unless I got ALL the chrome off. I used a flapper wheel on my angle grinder. Lots of work. CHrome is hard and eats these things up.

You can get it reverse plated at a plating shop, usually cheaply, I found out later.