HybridZ

I've read enough and now I'm gonna go Hybrid!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hello everyone. I've been interested in a V8 conversion for a while now and reading all the threads here has convinced me that "yeah, I really want one!"

Still doing research, mostly on pricing things out at this point. I guess I just want everyone here to know that I really appreciate the fact that a place like this exists. Some of you guys have taken the art to the max!

Sincerely, Jumbo240z

Guest Anonymous

Welcome to the Forum. Glad to hear another Hybrid'er is coming to the party. If you have any questions, let em rip, theres some super nice guys/gals here that'll help you out any way they can. Good luck with the project.

Regards,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

Yeah, they're real cool. I figured they would consider me a joke for being 15 and wanting to do a V8 swap, but they didn't, and they were really helpful, and for that, I thank you icon_smile.gif

Everyone starts somewhere. Earlier is better and I'd advise you to read everything you can get your hands on to speed the learning curve. You NEVER know when something you read somwhere will be helpful when you least expect it. icon_wink.gif

I'll never forget the time I tore down the car's carb when I was 16. Doing this while my parent's primary transportation was in the shop and this was our only car was probably a bad idea in retrospect. Putting it together only to have the engine die after about 5mins of running wasn't a good sign the first three times I tested it (lol).

My parents were on pins and needles but I figured it out and we all got where we needed to go the next day just fine! I'm still not sure it ever ran any better but I had fun anyway icon_biggrin.gif

Hi all! I too am starting a Z-V8 project and had a question. I will be driving the car daily and was wondering about how much HP I can get away with... I want to use pump gas and have it be streetable. Any thoughts?

Thanks and Great Forum...I've been ghosting for weeks!

SagZ

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the welcome guys.

Yes, I understand the value of reading all the stuff I can, and also visiting all your websites. I am an old Ford guy from years back but there seems to be much more real world experience with chevy installations so I've decided to go that way. But then there will be the "Duh" questions that go along with that (I just never worked on a Chevy!)

Anyway, Lonehdrider, I think my install will be alot like yours, and I appreciate the documentation on your website. It seems like a reasonable amount of cash for some really cool realized benefits (I'm thinking about some chassis mods though, cuz I plan on taking this monster to the track every now and then.) One question I have for you regards air conditioning. I'm livin' in the same HOT climate and the wifey says she won't ride with me if it's hot out! I also have a '72 and what I've found says '72's didn't come with air. So does that mean I gotta switch over to a '73-up heater et al?

Anyway, I think it would be cool to get all the SF bay area Hybridz guys together. At the very least I'd know which Z's NOT to mess with!

Jon

Take care and thanks again.

I too have a 72 and am a Ford guy - duh questions? Wazzat? Like when you can't figure out WHY Chevy starters need to be shimmed?! Oh yea, I understand now icon_biggrin.gif

HP, well as others said as much as you want. Past a certain point it makes no real sense though probably as it'll just break things or go up in smoke. I'm shooting for about 450 horse with maybe a bottle to back it up. Carb'ed first, then EFI, then maybe a blowwer - we'll see. More cubes will give you easier power but probably a lower RPM threshold. I went with a 383 stroker but others have gone for 327, 302, Buick 231, all sorts of things. If this will be a driver maybe consider an LT1 with EFI out of a wrecked Camarobird.

A/C - you can retrofit A/C into the 72. It was done way back then, it can be done now. Be aware though that the blower motors are pretty bad. For this reason I want to use Vintage Air in my car. First however I've got to get the intake to stop leaking water and th etrans to run in all gears (grumble). I believe at least one of us has gone this route - done correctly you'll have nice cool A/C icon_biggrin.gif

Guest Anonymous

BLK, been reading about your misfortune. That's gotta suck. Hope everything gets going for you soon.

BTW, were you able to use the stock hood mounts with your fiberglass hood? It's a nice way to shave pounds and I think depending on the manufacturer you can use the stock hinges.

Oh yeah, what color is your z? It looks really unique.

Guest Anonymous

Jumbo240z, you can do air a few ways in a 72. I used the kit from MSA and modified the mount to work on the chevy, for a few dollars more I could have bought a sanderson to chevy mount somewhere I'm sure, but I'm a cheap skate. The other method is to use like Vintage air's units and replace the heater unit with one that has both heat and air. I'm not sure how theres works or what the total costs and if its a complete kit for the money. The MSA one runs a steep 831.00 which I guess isn't bad, I've paid more for add on air in a new car. Mines finally done but not charged, so I can't say yet how well it works. Yeah suspension is advisable. I have my front end done now, and sways front and rear put in, it should ride a bit lower when I get it back off stands I've got 1" shorter springs as well I can't wait to drive it now to be honest. Building exhaust system now blah.. Good luck with your project.

Regards,

Lone

Ps: I agree, a gathering would be cool, maybe somewhere in the middle to include some of the other Northern Cal HybridZ owners. We'll have to try to make that happen soon. icon_smile.gif