HybridZ

paint flames

Guest mtj71Z

Guest mtj71Z

this is just something im wondering when the time comes

how do people paint the flames on cars? is it freehand of can u cut out a pattern out of vinal or something and do it? whats the normal (or most common) way?

also the gradients from white to yellow to red - thats just by eye right?

how hard is this to do? thx,

mike

Guest Anonymous

Most of the custom painters that do flames mask them by eye. They may mask a finish line where they end, but thats about it. You can use templates, but for some peoples taste that gives to much of a symetrical look. It is a process of just spraying the next color in basically a stripe (meaning you'd paint the one color in a straight line across the car) and then the next color just gets painted overlaping the first 'stripe' and so on. You want to somewhat fog the paint where it connects with the previous color and not get a defined line obviously.

Is it hard? Well not super, but I'd practice on some sheet metal or something before I jumped in. I've done them on bike tanks and rc models (which are dead easy, you paint from underneath). I used a small cup gun and just went for it after a bit of practice on whatever was lying around. icon_smile.gif

The gradients are by eye as well. A artistic eye helps so you don't end up with camo' flames or something ... icon_smile.gif

Thats pretty much what I know about your 'standard' flame job. Now if you are talking the 3d looking interwoven shaded flame jobs, those take quite a artistic eye and are probably best left to a air brush artist.. icon_smile.gif

Regards,

Lone

Painting flames is not really as difficult as someone might think. Sketch out your basic idea first on paper. Then go to the vehicle that you want to flame. Using a "China Marker" or grease pencil, lighly outline its shape on the areas you want flamed. Stand back and look at the design. If you need to make changes, now is the time. Simply wipe off the undesired lines and redraw until you reach a pleasing pattern. (Most graphic designers/artists who do this on a regular basis, simply skip most of this). We use a 3M product called "Fine Line" tape, which is very flexable and does great on tight radius designs. It comes in various widths, 1/8" or 1/16" are most commonly used. It bends very easy used exclusively for curved shapes, such as flames. Apply the tape following the outline of the flames you have drawn. Next mask off the areas using a low tac masking tape NOT to be sprayed. You now have a template for the flames. Remove the grease pencil outline with a rag and some "prepsol". Lightly scuff the surface of the areas to be flamed, being careful NOT to sand the surfaces of the fine line tape. Use a green 3M scotch brite pad or 200 wet dry paper. Wipe the areas sanded with a tac rag until clean of all dust. Mix your base coat and lightly spray it down over the flamed template. Next spray your beginning top coat color(s) being careful where you start and stop, for your "blends". Your blends for example white tips on the end of the flames; begin from the end tip and back spray slightly over your base coat where it ends. After completing the colors or effect that you want, clear coat the flamed area. After drying carefully peel away the tape. Always peel the tape AWAY from the flame, NEVER into it. You may need to use a razor in some areas to cut the paint over tape, as not to pull and/or peel the fresh flames up with the tape. Go slow! After the flames have fully cured you can lightly color sand and smooth out the paint edge build up. Pin stripe edges, thus outlining flame pattern. Note: Ghost flames skip the striping step. Thats basically it. Search out different flame styles/colors for ideas. Take your time...you can always tell when someone has rushed a flame job. In those cases, they should have just used a couple of gallons of gas and tourched it!!! LOL Have fun, contact me if you have any other questions.

icon_cool.gif Van

My twin bro is away at technical school in Texas (he got a free ride after being ranked #1 in the nation for autobody and paint). But he does some of the best flames I've ever seen! I believe he only uses a thin piece of finishing line. IF I can I'll scan pics of the bug he built, it was Cobalt Blue w/ Silver flames and the tips were dusted purple. And to think he's only 19 icon_biggrin.gif

If you want to get some good ideas for flames, the Truckin'-type of magazines are pretty good and so are Rod & Custom type magazines. The tribal flames and variations of them are pretty cool--I saw a Camaro with Cameleon color flamesthe other day--BAAAAD!! icon_biggrin.gif

Davy

Guest Anonymous

Another real sign of a poor paint job is the shape and size of the flames. I've seen them done very large and chunky and it really did'nt look all that good. Van made some great points on prep and painting. The china marker is a great idea too, draw them out and correct it until your happy with how it looks, maybe another set of eyes to just to make sure might not be such a bad thing.

As I said, practice on other things (the dog house, your mail box, a hamster, whatever). icon_wink.gif

Regards,

Lone