HybridZ

C4 Vette body kit for Early Z

pparaska

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

I just don't get it! We ain't talkin' Cobra here, the vette would likely cost less than polishing this turd, and then you'd still only have a polishturd. and it is a turd, a mock-up,and if you were to make it functional you'd add a bit of wieght. If you want a sleeper do a sleeper, it seems to me a slight insult somehow, even from the vette standpoint, like putting a 350 ina Mustang. I don't know, I guess everyone draws the line somewhere.

WW ∞

[ June 22, 2001: Message edited by: WebWalker ]

[ June 22, 2001: Message edited by: WebWalker ]

Guest Anonymous

Gosh, I know we really just want the best from what we've got, and a big part of that is having something different, but using the body of the cheapest vette you can find ain't it to me, I'd go with John Washingtons Ferrari kit or something. Just me,...or is it all those vettes I've dusted and I don't want this one sneaking up on me?

WW ∞ ZwebBUT.gif

Pete, I like the Datsun body-style better than the Vette (and you do too, otherwise you would have bought two Vettes instead of meticulously building that piece of Datsun/Chevy ART you have in your garage)!!!! After reading the description, this car seems like more of a liability than anything else. A Ferrari body kit has more class than this, even an older Vette kit would have been cool, but a mid-80's Vette???? Not appealing to me, sorry.

David

[ June 23, 2001: Message edited by: DavyZ ]

Guest Anonymous

As far as Vette's go, the C4 was where performance started happening again. I rather liked that model, the C3 that looked more stingray'ish was a sad, sad time for the vette and a real toad, it got soft and was just a luxury tourer (does this story sound familiar?). The C4 got it back on track. And, while I like that year vette, I'm not real hot on this kit only because its not special enough for my tastes. If I'm going to go to the trouble of putting a body kit on, its going to have to be a stunner, something that just flat drops people where they are when they look at it. A stock vette look ain't it for me. I liked the ferrari and the Cobra kit both because they do make you stop and take a long look, not just umm, ok, its a vette, seems short, whats for lunch... icon_smile.gif

Regards,

Lone

Yes, this one is a little strange. To do something like this takes a tremendous amount of work and money. They did an excellent job. The propotions and the lines blend very well. The person who did this has a lot of talent. It just seems misdirected. The appeal of the car would be way to narrow for any commerial venture. This looks like the fulfilled dream of one very devoted and talented man. I'll pass on this one, but I can't wait for his next project.

Guys, I really do think the stock Z body looks tons better - Davy's right on that one. Heck, I didn't really change anything on mine but an Air dam, body color bumpers and door handles, a Z432 rear spoiler, and blacked out stainless trim.

But I'm really getting into the custom / rod scene as I get older - stock cars, even muscle cars, get old to me after a while. I like to see good creativity and skill, not paint-by-numbers. I really don't get much enjoyment going to a Z convention or show and seeing a bunch of totally stock Z's with only the paint color different between them. YAWN! (IMO)

I am just trying to be open minded. I agree if I were to put that much effort or less into doing a body kit, it'd be a C2 or C3 vette (if a vette at all) or even better, a GTO 250, Daytona Cobra, or a 280YZ body kit. I just like seeing somebody do something different, when it doesn't end up distasteful. Yeah, the C4 was the least good looking Vette IMO. But the guy looked to do a good job. And lone's poijt of the C4 bringing performance back to the Vette is very well taken - I remember when the C4 cam out and the mags were gushing over it for just that reason - it was SO MUCH better than the previous years. The Vette died in 73-74 as far as I'm concerned, and was reborn with the C4. Of course, the Z06 C5 is SO MUCH better.

Peace. icon_smile.gif

Guest Anonymous

Nah, I agree Pete, it is different and I like that as well, its not my kettle of fish, but thats ok. We were just voicing personal opinions and taste more than the execution which as Dan said is quite well done. I agree 100% that different is good, I guess thats why I like the Hybridz, because outside of our motor mounts (and in some cases not even those) none of our cars are all that similar, theres so much room for interpretation in taste and construction. Oh well, just critiquing the message, not the messenger... icon_wink.gif

Best regards,

Lone

[ June 23, 2001: Message edited by: lonehdrider ]

Guest Anonymous

Looks pretty good if you're into Vettes, but I too think I would want my Z to look like one. It makes it that much more fun to see the look on your opponents face after he has just been smoked by a Datsun.

Yeah, Les just summed it up: it's ugly for the competition when a Z spanks 'em!!! Of course, I will hide the fact that I've got $$$ into the conversion when it's finished (sigh). But, at least it's unique.

That said, IMO the Datsun Z (1st gen) is perhaps one of the most successful body styles in history; I'm not saying the "best," but clearly one of the best. They are so alluring, I can practically "taste" the car--and man, it's really good! icon_smile.gif

David

Pete, I don't mean to dump on your liking the ingenuity and the benefits of that Vette body kit--thanks for sharing. I can appreciate hard work, even if its not my cup of tea. Your car is more my taste, if you know what I mean!

[ June 23, 2001: Message edited by: DavyZ ]

Okay, I'll go against the grain here - I LIKE it icon_smile.gif

Imagine driving down th eroad and having that pass you. It looks like a stock 'vette right? Except it's shorter, and sort of hase a different roofline. You'll be scratching your head fo rawhile - it's sort of like a 2/3rd scale 'vette and I think that's pretty darned cool! Mirrors look silly though icon_sad.gif I'd consider it if I could see it in person and it was closer to home. Wonder how ya' would do lights? Think it'll cool very well?

Anyone catch the "10% of Gross PROFIT" part? Gross sales, NET profit. What's GROSS PROFIT?! Is that profit before expenses AKA gross sales? Huh?! icon_confused.gif

BLKMGK, that's pretty much what I thought too. A mini C4 Vette would be an eye catcher to those that know cars. And if the car had a 400 hp SBC, the weight difference would mean it would spank all but the very modded C4s in a straight line and in the curves, I'd think.

Guest Anonymous

I agree that this is one mans interpretation, and to his talent(if not his sticktoitness). It seems like the people who'd look the closest would be vette fans, and I really don't know what the reaction would be, as varied as here I'm sure. If it were finished and it would spank the origional some would like it, probably more purists in that lot tho-.

Linda like if someone took a stock 240 looking ride, made it a tad smaller and put an F1 engine in it, hehe icon_biggrin.gif

Or did Owen do that already? icon_wink.gif

WW∞ ZwebBUT.gif

I'd bet that there are more purists and snobs in that world than there are on Zcar.com (cough). Would make the build all the more fun to drive actually! Hrm, I ought to save off those pics (lol). To do it right though it would need a 100% custom interior to really look nice. I'm still wondering how well it cools to be honest...