HybridZ

C4 Vette body kit for Early Z

pparaska

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

Hmmm, a mini 63 split window vette... Now that I could get into. Could even make it a 427.. (small block icon_razz.gif), six speed, cut down vette rear end .. Yeah you'd probably be about as popular as oil on a racetrack with the vette guys icon_smile.gif

Regards,

Lone

[ June 24, 2001: Message edited by: lonehdrider ]

do you want a z or a vette? you do all that work on a swap and then you turn it into the car whose heart you stole? me, i like the idea of a car that looks aggresive yet has a rep for not being heated, then whoopin that ass with authority... if you really want a c4, get one and put a nitrous 502 six speed in it, youll save lots of money and be really really fast, with a rearend and frame that will love you for it! just my thoughts, sorry.

Lenster

Guest Anonymous

Just bench racin dude'... Closest I'll come to a Vette is the L88 cowl on my Z, just getting all the bits to work correctly and replacing the parts is expensive enough, can't afford Vette parts.

Regards,

Lone

[ June 25, 2001: Message edited by: lonehdrider ]

Guest Anonymous

I can't explain, but the old vette on a 240 I could handle, it's probably a bunch closer in proportion I'd say, espesh it it were conv.

You wanna really blow some minds re-body a vette to look like a 240!!hehe

hehehe

WW∞ ZwebBUT.gif

I just did a search on the local autotrader website, and there were 90+ C4 Vettes for sale compared with 0 Z's! Why would you want to make a beautiful and rare classic like a Z into a dime-a-dozen bland C4 icon_confused.gif Unlike a Ferrari, the C4 is cheap and easy to find.

A waste of a good Z IMO.

Nigel

Guest Anonymous

Did you do a search on vettes re-bodied as 240Zs? Hehehe

heheheh

I can't quite picture it in my mind, but I bet it'd be WIKKIT!!

ps. I'd still spank it, but i'd ruuubb it when I'm done....

WW∞ ZwebBUT.gif

Wow, how did I miss this thread – pretty ingenious I’d say and quite well do or at least so it appears. You sure would fake out a lot of people and cause many a double take. Obviously with a light Z car you would smoke most C4’s and Vettes in general – hmmmm.

However, I would prefer a 250 GTO and can prove it! Why copy a $5,000 car when you can copy a $14,000,000?

icon_eek.gif

Wow, how did I miss this thread – pretty ingenious I’d say and quite well done or at least so it appears. You sure would fake out a lot of people and cause many a double take. Obviously with a light Z car you would smoke most C4’s and Vettes in general – hmmmm.

However, I would prefer a 250 GTO and can prove it! Why copy a $5,000 car when you can copy a $14,000,000 one?

icon_eek.gif

Guest Anonymous

Still alot of problems to solve on this little baby, and I imagine unless you're very talented in the custom Fab dept. it may well live up to its moniker.....we all know what happens to "a little C4" under pressure.... icon_eek.gif

I don't mean any disrepect to the builder of this car, It wouldn't surprise me one bit if he's not among us, and I'm sure he's very disappointed in some way, otherwise it would be finished and not for sale on e-bay at an insulting price for the work that has gone into it.

I tend to play "devils advocate" and NEVER mean to offend with my comments, I bet there are few people out there who wouldn't like his technical input on their own projects.

I still think it would be more interesting to do the cheepy Vette with a 240Z aspect..

WW∞ ZwebBUT.gif

Eh, as a one-off for production purposes it was never meant to be finished. He did it to make molds for a production run but then probably encountered much the same feedback that we're giving here - "why?!". So, it never went production and he's trying to recoup something from it. I think his wanting 10% of anyhting anyone gets from trying to produce a kit is laughable though.

I'd still also like to know how he thinks anyone could cool that thing icon_smile.gif It does indeed needs bunches of work, not th eleast of which is headlights! icon_rolleyes.gif

Guest Anonymous

You're absolutely right.

Funny you should ask about the cooling question...I have an L88 type hood, and am considering making a duct from the radiator to inside the front lip on the scoop, like a fOrD gt40(I think). I really don't have cooling problems, just thot it would be cool, but it might work to cool that Thang in question.

WW∞ Z-1_trippin_for_web.jpg

[ July 01, 2001: Message edited by: WebWalker ]

[ July 01, 2001: Message edited by: WebWalker ]

Guest Anonymous

Changed back to the L88 type hood, with the GT40 style one every time I left a kegger I'd have to empty the beer cans and cigarette butts from what looked like a trash can in my hood.....

Not really! but if I did that I KNOW it would happen!

Guest Thurem

How about making a civic look like a Neon, for the ultimate sleeper. Or a MB 500sl look like a Buick, I know thats been done the other way around. What if you took an old turd and made it look like a new turd, how cool would that be. How about a Harley Davidson that looks like a Honda....

Being unique only to be unique is a waste of time in my opinion. If you do something unique and your results are better than others, then you are a winner( ie. make a Z faster than Vipers and Ferraris at 10 to 20% of the cost).

Thure

Agreed, the C4 seems a strange car to emulate to most people, but maybe this guy grew up around them and just really wanted a mini version? We all have different realities and life experiences that form our tastes, drives. etc. I was lucky to grow up around Shelby Mustangs, an AAR Cuda, 68/69 GTOs, Camaros, etc. So I had a very nicely rounded muscle car "upbringing" in high school to help me form my likes in not just one muscle car genre, but many.

But I'd not put that kind of effort into a C4 replica myself either. Now a GTO 250? That's a whole 'nuther story icon_wink.gif.

Guest Anonymous

I like Thurem's response the best. Creating some awful looking one-off just to be appear to be different seems kind of pointless and shallow from several human perspectives.

To gain real respect amongst your fellow customizers and the general auto public, I think you have to demonstrate good design sensibilities as well as a solidly engineered result.

Obviously few of us as start our projects as polished pros, so we must go through a learning process where our first attempts end up less than perfect. However, to start a whole project just to try to be different without concern for form and function blending together into somekind of an art form or improved performance machine, doesn't strike me as a very solid foundation to build on.

That said, I would also say that if the primary motivation is to learn and practice new auto building skills, then just about any project or design would be justified, no matter how ugly or in left field that it might appear to others.

Eric Neyerlin of Z PARTS

Z PARTS

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

The C4 could be a worthwhile project...if you made it a little smaller, and put little push pedals in the floorboard to propel it.

WW