HybridZ

Removing A/C lines

Hey, I have a 78 280z and I had a question about removing the Air conditioning Lines.

Just as a caution my 78 is a vacuum operated heating system, so if removing the bronze A/c Lines from the engine bay will make me lose vacuum and lose my heating and defrost, then it wont work.

I wanted to know if even if I didnt have compressor will it still possibly have a/c coolant in the lines?

and Can I remove the bronze lines without it cancelling out my vacuum for defrost and heat?

If there's no compressor (i.e. hoses just bare-ended where the compressor would be), there's definitely no freon in the A/C system.

Vacuum-operated systems are run by engine manifold vacuum; removing the (normally pressurized) A/C lines will not affect your heat/defrost operation.

In short, have at it.

thats exactly the answer I was looking for, thanks.

The only reason I asked is because I removed and bled the freon in my saab 900 turbo and then went to remove the lines and freon was gushing out like mad and that stuff is terrible smelling.