HybridZ

new starter install 280z

1977 280Z /4spd

I really hope this post makes some sense and I'm just about to the point of frustration that I'm thinking about taking it in to a "real" mechanic,but thought I'd turn to the forum first.

A few weeks ago, I started up the Z and heard a loud grinding type sound. Flywheel isn't that old, so figured it was the starter and bought a new one. I'm running into some problems trying to install it. Below is a picture of my old starter. The arrow is pointing to where the positive battery cable was connected. On my new starter, the bolts are reversed. Where the pos. cable connects is to the right of where it originally was, making it impossible to connect without touching the other bolt. Can that cause a problem?

In addition, the cable where the spade connector is, splits into 2. One has the spade, the other has a circle shaped connector, that was also on the same bolt where the pos. cable was connected. Whats the purpose of the cable? Doesn't look OEM.

Anyhow, I connected all the cables and as soon as the negative clamp touched the neg post, I heard a "whirring noise" that did not go away until I removed the clamp.

Help!!! :-/