HybridZ

ZZ's 72 240Z

Well, I bought this car about 3 weeks ago and just got to start working on it this past week. I picked it up for $1000. It has had two owners and has been garaged most of its life. It's been in storage for past couple of years being worked on until it could be afforded anymore so that's when I came in. For the most part it is in great shape considering its age and that its a MN car. The interior is great (the clock even works!) and the exterior has very minimal amounts of rust.

As of now it doesn't run, or drive, but everything just needs to be refreshed from sitting for awhile. Nothing is broken or needs replacing (at least not yet :rolleyes: )

So right now I'm just working to get it running and driveable (brakes, clutch, etc) Before I bought it the brakes were redone except the master cylinder so I am cleaning that up. The clutch master cylinder also needs a little work. Nothing is wrong with the motor, but the carbs need to be cleaned and the wiring hooked up (the previous owner replaced the distributor and wires). I'll be working on this as I can, I need to find a job to start paying for parts and what not (not easy at 17 <_< ). Once summer starts I'll be able to do more.

So here's my pics as it sits right now...

post-9789-12698312629355_thumb.jpg

post-9789-12698312887172_thumb.jpg

post-9789-12698312994945_thumb.jpg

post-9789-1269831321181_thumb.jpg

post-9789-12698315041788_thumb.jpg

Also I have these wheels and I'm not sure what to do with them. I don't really like them and I have the original 'Z' hubcaps (rusty of course) for the steel wheels that I like better so I thought about selling them. If anyone is interested let me know or else I'll just keep them.

post-9789-12698316862904_thumb.jpg

I'm probably forgetting something but that's all I got for now. B)

Edited by doublez

You could have some factory option package or you got it from a guy who did stuff to it. Air dam, spoiler is a kinda rare factory one. Wheels are factory option already told you that. The quarter window louvers, seen them not ones that look like those even though I am guessing they are factory. Door panels look almost mint which is a super A+

Door cards are very nice, seats are great too. Just need a little cleaning to shine nice. Dash is good except for a little crack, maybe I can fix it with something? I think I'm going to take off the louvers, but I'll deal with that kind of stuff later, I just want to get it running ;)

Didn't have time to do much this week, but I did start tearing into the brake and clutch cylinders. Brake cylinder I got mostly apart, but I can't get the second piston out. It moves but I don't know how to get it out. Clutch master I'm soaking in oil trying to get it to brake loose.

I'll get some more pictures soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Update...

I finished the rebuild on the brake master and clutch master. Both are installed and ready to go, just have to finish bleeding the brakes.

I also heard it run for the first time yesterday! Now just to install the refurbished fuel tank and hook up a few miscellaneous hoses and what not. Should be ready to drive by the end of the week. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, getting hung up on the brakes right now. Both wheel cylinders are clogged up pretty good. I broke a bleeder screw in one and then broke the easy out in that, so I have to buy atleast one new cylinder (unless there something to do to get the easy out and the bleeder out?)

The other one I got apart all the way, but the fluid passages are clogged up. At the moment I got it so that air will come through. Is there something I can use to eat away at the rest of the junk in there to really make sure it's clean? Or do I just have to buy a new one for that too?

I'd prefer to do this as cheap as possible. :lol:

Looks like things are moving along. :2thumbs: I have found that soaking parts in a coffee can filled with automatic transmission fluid (new or used) will usually eat away at most corroded parts. Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not, that's the problem with the old cars. Be careful with your brake parts as the brake fluid has a nasty habit of absorbing moisture and corroding everything from the inside. You don't want to get too cheep here, being the brakes and all. A small pinhole can render your whole brake system useless in the most inopportune moment.

Looking good and keep us posted. More pictures please! :)

Thanks for the tip. I didn't have any atf around so I tried working with what I do have, brake cleaner, wd40, our parts cleaner (I don't know what the stuff is thats in there, it's green), (etc), but nothing really worked. I think I'll just order 2 new ones. I can always mess with the old one more and return the new one if I do get it to work.

I'll get more pictures when I can, but right theres much to take pictures of :rolleyes:

You could have some factory option package or you got it from a guy who did stuff to it. Air dam' date=' spoiler is a kinda rare factory one. Wheels are factory option already told you that. The quarter window louvers, seen them not ones that look like those even though I am guessing they are factory. Door panels look almost mint which is a super A+

[/quote']

None of those are Factory options. Those are all DEALER options. Big difference. Just like in the USDM, A/C was a DEALER option, but elseware in the world, it was a FACTORY option. Whole differen't sack of nuts, there.

If it was a factory option, it would change the value of the car to remove/alter. But they are dealer options, so do with them what you will. Those look like Western Cyclone wheels, make a donation to the site and list 'em for sale if you don't want them. There are usually some folks looking for them.

Thanks for the info. I already took off the window louvers and I'll probably take off the hatch one too but I'm not sure right now.

I have to set the timing to get it to run better but I'm not sure how to read the crank pulley. I assume the first (biggest) notch is tdc, then every mark after that is 5 deg?

What should I set timing to? The fsm says 17 deg but I've read it's okay to go a little higher?

None of those are Factory options. Those are all DEALER options. Big difference. Just like in the USDM, A/C was a DEALER option, but elseware in the world, it was a FACTORY option. Whole differen't sack of nuts, there.

If it was a factory option, it would change the value of the car to remove/alter. But they are dealer options, so do with them what you will. Those look like Western Cyclone wheels, make a donation to the site and list 'em for sale if you don't want them. There are usually some folks looking for them.

I have the same wheels with center caps that say "Rocket". I thought they were rocket. That makes sense being dealer options. I may want your quarter window louvers by the way.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, running into some problems ordering these wheel cylinders. At first I ordered 2 from rockauto.com not knowing the build date of my car. I ended up getting two different brands and both were wrong. Both were after 7/72 parts. So, now I need to order before 6/72 parts and the only ones I could find so far aren't available (through rockauto). So where can I get these? I'm not finding them. :(

I guess my other option would be to upgrade to discs but I don't want to do that unless I can do it cheap. I do have access to plenty of tooling so fabrication isn't an issue I guess. But what would I have to buy to make it work?

Anyways I'm open to suggestions.

(here's the wheel cylinder out of my car)

post-9789-12735433735319_thumb.jpg

Edited by doublez

I went to carquest and they want 85 a piece for the wheel cylinders. The best place online I can find is 80 a piece, but they you have to ship them too, so that's not really savings.

I'm going to go check out the junkyard right now. Maybe I can find stuff for the maxima rear disc upgrade. I guess if I can get the calipers and rotors cheap I would just do that upgrade because any bracket I need I can make. I have access to a CNC mill and I know how to use it.

If I were to go the disc route, would I have to use maxima calipers/rotors if I can make any size bracket I need? or is that just the easiest route to go?

Please help me out here.

One more update :rolleyes:

I just got in a part that is 'after 7/72' and it now matches what came off of my car.

Is there infact a difference between the years?

I think I will just order the other side cylinder from wagner (part # WC96878) and hope it works out. :mellow:

I have heard some sticking issues with the maxima calipers so I went with the 240sx calipers. I bought almost everything I needed for my rear disk brake upgrade for about 70 bucks from the junkyard. So that included the 300zx rotors and the 240sx calipers (came from a 91' I think) If you search you will find what you need for that. And for this upgrade you can get the brackets for 165 for both from Modernmotorsports. MM also has the E-brake adaptor but I'm sure you could make that yourself very easy.

There are some differences between the early Z's but I am not exactly sure, you may want to search that or wait for a more experienced Z guy to chim in.

I have heard some sticking issues with the maxima calipers so I went with the 240sx calipers. I bought almost everything I needed for my rear disk brake upgrade for about 70 bucks from the junkyard. So that included the 300zx rotors and the 240sx calipers (came from a 91' I think) If you search you will find what you need for that. And for this upgrade you can get the brackets for 165 for both from Modernmotorsports. MM also has the E-brake adaptor but I'm sure you could make that yourself very easy.

There are some differences between the early Z's but I am not exactly sure, you may want to search that or wait for a more experienced Z guy to chim in.

I was going to be making brackets for the 280zx rear disk conversion. I need to go to the machine shop still. Been a little busy with some other things. I could probably get them cheap but I would be ordering them in quantities of 100 or more to get them cheap. I just don't think I could sell enough to make that many, quite the investment to come out with tons of brackets and out hundreds in cash.

I went to the junkyard and they have basically nothing for me. They have one 280zx, missing everything brakes related. A couple 300zx, all 5 lug. A couple maximas, but none of them are old enough. And no 240sx cars <_<

So I went ahead and ordered that wheel cylinder. Hopefully it is the right thing. If not I might return both and try a couple other yards in search of rear disc parts. (I would try other yards now, but this is the only pick n pull yard close to me)

I went to the junkyard and they have basically nothing for me. They have one 280zx, missing everything brakes related. A couple 300zx, all 5 lug. A couple maximas, but none of them are old enough. And no 240sx cars <_<

So I went ahead and ordered that wheel cylinder. Hopefully it is the right thing. If not I might return both and try a couple other yards in search of rear disc parts. (I would try other yards now, but this is the only pick n pull yard close to me)

If you come across a 79-83 RWD maxima with rear disks. Pay for the brackets. If you get them cheap enough I will buy them off of you. I just need something to take to the machine shop. I don't think I can get them cheap enough if I don't make them 100 at a time. Which would be around 2000 I don't have out of my pocket. Finding the maximas is a rare happening.