HybridZ

Anyone have trouble with AZC fuel pumps?

S130Z

Hey guys! Let me start off by saying, I'm not trying to bash on AZC. They are great people over there and have been more than helpfull.

When I first swapped to the turbo motor in my S130, I had installed a fuel pump purchased from Arizon Z Car. The pump wouldnt even budge and was seized. AZC was nice enough to rush me out a new pump that they had tested to be good. Now, 3 months later, my new pump is seizing up again.

The other day, as I was leaving for work, I got in my car and noticed no fuel pressure. I turned the key back, and listened for the pump to prime. I got nothing out of it. I got under my car and started testing my connections to and from the pump. All of my electronics tested good and there was barely any resistance through the pump. As I was checking my electronics, I noticed my clear fuel filter (sits between the pump and tank) had no fuel in it. This concerned me because it usually has fuel in it.

BTW, I park my car on a steep hill and the day my pump seized, I was very low on gas. I went to move the ZX, so I could get my truck out of the driveway, and got it off the incline. Just for laughs I turned the key again. To my surprise, the fuel pump came on. I don't know if this pump needed to be wet to turn over or what.

So I'm wondering if anyone else has had problems with ths particular pump.

Edited by S130Z

I can't speak to this particular pump but I am wondering where your pump is in relation to the tank and feed line from the tank to the pump.

Is the pump at the lowest point of the system by the tank? I could potentially see it dying sooner than later if the pump is running dry for a second or two every start versus always being wet with fuel.

I know when I plumbed my aeromotive pump we made sure that it was below the tank and all lines were downhill towards the pump so its always wetso there is no dry run time. food for thought.

I have mounted the pump in the stock location with the fuel filter bing the lowest point in the system. Maybe the pump is too high. I have thought that the angle of my driveway combined with the low fuel level could cause the pump to go dry.

Well I've got a new MSD fuel pump! I also ended up taking out a full 1/3 of fuel at WOT. After I did so, I took a look at my datalogs of when I was on the Dyno with my AZC pump. My duty cycle was 123% at 15psi with my 440cc injectors. Now they are down to 60% with the new pump. So If anyone plans on pushing any more than 225 hp, choose a bigger pump than the AZC pump.