HybridZ

Roof Vent

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Let's see if this has been covered....I've been eyeing those "roof vents" used on Race cars like the Mercedes CLK-LM, I not sure what their exact function is, but I believe they could be made to function for a couple of scenarios;I.e....Fresh air to helmet,or ducting to rear brakes. I think one could be fabricated out of a round "snorkle" style hood scoop and blended in.

This look may be to "RICER" for some tastes as I noticed this treatment on the roof of the HONDA in the "Fast and the Furious", but I'm still thinking about it....Links to,and/or pictures and comments allways appreciated as usual.

Guest John Adkins

Hey I just remembered the roof vent on the '58 Impala

image.asp?id_=45037

Not really a scoop but kind of cool looking and not outrageous...

[ August 17, 2001: Message edited by: John Adkins ]

That would be one heck of a fresh air intake, or one noisy duct! Looks good on a radically designed car like the Viper--you would need flares and whatnot to make it look at home on the Z, otherwise the scoopie will look somewhat out of place. Remember that balance is key here, and it separates a good overall design from a bad one. Just food for thought.

Davy

Guest Anonymous

Hey ,I dig the Impala, I had forgotten about that one too.I have always thought the Viper resembled the Z.Those side Pipes look Great Too,(Following Eric's post,I always thought that would be such a cool Mod.) AnyBody know what the function of the Scoop would be for on that particular application(VIPER)?

My car is pretty customized already,...Blended MotorSports Areo package,Shaved and filled Emblems,shaved door handles.Blended body panels.My next addition will be flares,haven't decided Whose to go with yet though.

I think I might just give this one a try, but I was just courious if the one I saw on the Honda in THE movie served a purpose ,other than to be trendy.If I do put one On ,I will run duct work to the rear brakes.If I"M going to be Trendy I might as well have a reason.

Thanks for the Great Pics.I need to find one of the Mercedes,That particular Ride looks So Tuff.I had to buy an Extra HotWheels One,Just so I could Open it and play with it.....YES,My wife said I finally Lost It ,too. icon_razz.gif

Try this - look at a 68 fastback Mustang with the scoops on the sides up high. If you're going to scoop air for th ebrakes I'd do it there or down low where earlier Mustangs had scoops. Having a single vent up high just doesn't seem like the way to go IMO (shrug).

I was just talking to a Z Club of Texas member today and we were discussing using the c pillar vents and putting the scoop over those, like the fast backs. It is a reasonably flat surface and he had seen smaller vents that could be used. Ducting for the rear brakes might be alitle harder, but not much harder then going from the roof. Maybe on my next project Z.

Guest Anonymous

One time ,Purely for the sake of Science ..I secured a pair of chrome "Clam-Shell" scoops over the vent hole.{I purchased these from a Boat Supply Store,BTW the bigger stores stock all kinds of neat misc. chrome things.I think a pair of running lights with the pole shotened would make some "COOL" turn signals..shrug,twitch,shrug}I experimented with mounting them facing forward and aft.They produced alot of cabin turbulence both ways.I've since "smothed the holes over". I haven't noticed any signs of

interference with the A/C.Re."Get Rid of the Roof Emblem"

This reminds me of something I read regarding the "Rules" in NASCAR racing.(Anyone chime in if I botch it up to bad.)There are regulations regarding the postioning of "scoops" in tne rear side windows of cars.They have to face rear and be utilized for fresh air or brakes.Some racers were facing

theirs forward and venting out the bottom.This

created

an additional

down force on the rear,aiding traction.Seems this was viewed as an ufair advantage,and said rule put in place.

I realize that there probably are better,more effecient ways of venting my brakes...But I'm talking about finding an excuse to chop a hole in my roof....so

my question is:

, What is the function of the "scoop" on the above pictured Viper? What are all the "Ricers" (The Fast and The Furious)using their scoops For?....I don't want to accidentaly "Black Ball" myself by going through with this mod...I did that once before....Anybody remember the Feather and Bead decoration that "Clipped" to your visor...I took one from my big brother and hung it in my car.I thought I was a Pimp driving around with the feathers fluttering...THE COP informed me of the "OTHER" uses of this decoration....And there was the cute little flower and "VASE" you get at the corner station......

I've thought about the hood scoop as well. I wondered if it could have some sort of aerodynamic benefits, i.e. funnel air down the back window to the spoiler and create more down force. I agree with the asthetic issues that arose, also. I would say that you would need to have wider fenders. I'm considering the reaction research 280yz kit. Where does one get a hood scoop anyway?

Guest Anonymous

www.wholehyper.com

I just found this website via a search engine.They have Roof Scoops (1 looks just like a Dodge "Shaker" hood scoop)and various other aftermarket parts.If you are wanting to use a Hood scoop for this mod try Summit,Jegs,J.C.Whitney or swap meets for better prices.