HybridZ

Re-installing original fuel injection 1978 280z

kitami-san

I just started working on a Datsun 280z. Someone decided in the past that on this particular car that it would be a good idea to put some kind of home made intake manifold and a 2 barrel Motorcraft 2150 carburetor on it. of course my plan is to convert it to the original fuel injection (for now) i found the parts all very cheap but i a few questions about compatibility.

mainly, are the parts from the 280zx fuel injection system compatible with the 280 z.

i have looked them both over and they seem very similar as far as the wiring harness goes. but i am not 100% sure.

I really need to know if the computers are the same, or if there is any benefit for one over the other.

i have noticed that the intake manifolds are very different, but are they compatible? or is there a benefit to one over the other?

I have already downloaded the FI bible but it wasnt of much help since it was for the z not the zx.

really need the info. also need to know the AFM compatibility

also, i wouldnt have posted anything if i hadn't utilized the search box to the fullest of my ability. im a noob to this forum, not forums in general. but i have spent the last week seeking this info and come up short at this point.

Edited by kitami-san

• 2 weeks later...

I ran a 280ZX setup on my 76 until I found a 76 setup to go into it. Biggest thing was the ECU mounted in the stock holes without an adapter... And the headpipe didn't need an adapter.

Basically the sensors are all the same tolerance. It all depends on what harness you have. If you have the original harness, you will be wise to find a stock ECU to go with it, otherwise you will be spending time moving pins. Some of the pins on the AFM are in different positions, and depending on year how the fuel pump is activated is different.

The manifold is plug-n-play all the sensors are compatible.

THe AFM you will have to pin-out to insure it's correct. You will need the specific FSM for the model of the donor and the car you have to determine harness point to point connections.

When I put mine in, I used a ZX harness because it had the wires for the O2 Sensor (82 ZX in 76 S30) When I changed over to the 76 ECU and harness, I connected it to the ZX manifold for the first couple of 'test runs'.

The ZX AFM mounts slightly differently so the boot on the T/B doesn't fit the greatest....

You really don't give enough information to be of more help. You haven't stated which year ZX you harvested the harness and ECU from, or what combination of parts you intend to use. If you have a pre-1981 (no O2 Sensor) ZX harness it's much easier to do since there is no O2 to deal with wiring... But the ECU's aren't interchangable across platforms, if you read the box on the ZX it specifically warns about swapping between 78/79 earlier/later ECUs as damage will result.

I got 2-3 more MPG on the O2 sensored ZX box in my S30. After the conversion to a full 76 ssytem I averaged 22mpg at 80mph on the freeway. The ZX box gave me 24-26 in the same situation. Not bad for a car with a 4.11...