HybridZ

From junkyard black to butterscotch cool

Konish

Fellas,

Without having seen the $450+ set of the repop Butterscotch plastic, I didn't want to cough up the dough, so I thought I'd try my hand at doing a little interior resto. I wasn't as careful in all of the steps because as you know, they're pretty much hidden away in the back of the bus, so a perfect "experiment" for me.

As you can see the seller had indicated he fabricated "covers" for the ragged holes that were cut for speakers. By "fabricated", he meant he quickly cut out pieces from other trim panels and glued them on with black RTV...gawd.

waybefore.jpg

So I pulled the ragged "covers" off and spliced in my speaker grills from my BS piece (the only good pieces left)

8ccd58e7.jpg

I used some fiberglass cloth to hold in place...my first time with FG and it sucks :-)

5358b418.jpg

Filled in with a little finish filler

4ed834c1.jpg

Easy to follow directions

abd749c7.jpg

I layed down a layer of white Krylon plastic paint so my really expensive "Caramel Brown" Teroson Q-Color vinyl paint would cover better. Yeah, you can *just* see the outline of the spliced pieces, but again, these are so far back and down low, I can live with it.

a735d0ee.jpg

Then color

cb26c3f3.jpg

77bb57e0.jpg

I'll install the rest of it later this month which will really set off the new carpet kit I just installed...different thread.

Hope y'all like it and I hope it inspires some Butterscotch guys to hang on to the color.

R/

Dustin

Edited by Konish

I am about to paint my butterscotch pieces black... ha. The PO had some of the parts in black already, so I am just finishing the swap but I think I will paint all the parts (even the ones already black) again to get them all looking new.

Good job on the grills.

Sam

I need to do my interior pieces butterscotch. Does that color match the original? What is the color on the can??? Could you get some more photos?

Jacob,

The color doesn't quite match per se. I say that because I'm not even sure what the original color is anymore. I have about 6 different shades of "butterscotch" from really orange to really brown in my car.

Having said that, side-by-side, the color does not match exactly with the existing factory pieces in my car...the stuff in my car is slightly more orange but it's really, really close.

However, since I'm painting all of my interior plastic pieces with the same paint, it *will* match. After that, I really doubt that anyone could say that the color wasn't factory. In fact, the spray color matches the color in the factory seats much better than the original stuff as well as some other minor trim items.