HybridZ

Kameari twin idler timing gear tensioner

JohnH

I can't translate the instructions. How much tension should be applied to the tensioned side (left) of the chain assembly. I have around 1/8 play right now. Just wondering how loose or how tight the chain should be. I also have the TI Baby adjuster lock on it as well which I used to tension the chain before locking down the plate bolts.

I can't translate the instructions. How much tension should be applied to the tensioned side (left) of the chain assembly. I have around 1/8 play right now. Just wondering how loose or how tight the chain should be. I also have the TI Baby adjuster lock on it as well which I used to tension the chain before locking down the plate bolts.

I tightened mine as tight as I could get it by pushing the tensioner against the chain with my thumb only, and then tightened the retaining bolts. Be very careful not to over-tighten it with the TI Baby piece.

Edited by TimZ

Tension should be 'finger-tight' only. Push hard to tension the chain, then tighten. That's enough. Just check tension occasionally.

The 'TI Baby' tension adjuster add-on is completely unnecessary, and expressly ignores one of the caveats in using the KEW twin-idler tensioner - namely do not overtighten.

Kameari Engine Works themselves didn't design or manufacture the 'TI Baby' add-on, and do not sell them. That should tell you all you need to know. T*ts on a bull.

Thanks everyone, I figured I had it tensioned too tight. From what I could discern from the instructions Kameari calls for a regular inspection of the locking plate bolts every 3000 km. The TI Baby locking plate adjuster arm is just extra insurance the tension stays constant if the Kameari plate does come loose. I would not call the TI Baby useless as you would have to figure a market necesity for an independent manufacturer to design & sell this specific specialty product in Japan.

The TI Baby locking plate adjuster arm is just extra insurance the tension stays constant if the Kameari plate does come loose. I would not call the TI Baby useless as you would have to figure a market necesity for an independent manufacturer to design & sell this specific specialty product in Japan.

Sorry to disagree, but I disagree...... :blink:

Do you really think those four bolts in the KEW tensioner will ever "come loose" if they are tightened to spec? I can't see it myself.

Taking the 'TI Baby' principle to its logical conclusion, you'd end up - Third Policeman style - with piggy-backed failsafes on into infinity......

The 'TI Baby' piece is just an opportunistic doo-dad riding on a well thought-out, well designed and well manufactured part. The only excuse it gives for it's existence is the seed of doubt in the integrity of the KEW tensioner that it plants with its own existence. If it was an organism, it would be a parasite that lived - with glorious irony - on a prosthetic limb.

I wonder if it is aimed at that niche market of KEW tensioner owners who are not in possession of a proper matched pair of thumbs?

Oh yeah, I think it's got a stupid name too :)

Apart from all that, I think it's great!

Do you really think those four bolts in the KEW tensioner will ever "come loose" if they are tightened to spec? I can't see it myself.

Taking the 'TI Baby' principle to its logical conclusion, you'd end up - Third Policeman style - with piggy-backed failsafes on into infinity......

The 'TI Baby' piece is just an opportunistic doo-dad riding on a well thought-out, well designed and well manufactured part. The only excuse it gives for it's existence is the seed of doubt in the integrity of the KEW tensioner that it plants with its own existence. If it was an organism, it would be a parasite that lived - with glorious irony - on a prosthetic limb.

I wonder if it is aimed at that niche market of KEW tensioner owners who are not in possession of a proper matched pair of thumbs?

LOL...you crack me up Alan

I'll stand up and say that I was the one who originally pissed Alan off by pointing out that the TI Baby piece implies a problem with the KEW tensioner...

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php?/topic/57095-is-this-a-timing-chain-tensioner/page__st__20

...and I have to agree with Alan here. It seems to me that the TI Baby piece actually introduces more potential failure points that could come loose. Plus, it makes it very difficult to tell how much tension is applied to the chain, and even when hand tightening it makes it really easy to over-tighten the tensioner, which I believe that Alan has mentioned can and will lead to premature timing chain failure. In case you weren't paying attention, this is a pretty catastrophic failure mode.

I use a similar tensioner for my alternator belt, because my packaging in that area was making it difficult to tension the alternator using the tired and true pry bar method. I failed two belts in short order from over tightening by hand with this piece - you really couldn't tell that the belt was too tight by wiggling it. I have to be really careful every time I have to tension this belt to make sure that it doesn't happen again (I take things apart and reassemble alot :mrgreen: )

After having used the KEW tensioner for a couple of years now, I have to say that I have checked periodically, and have had no issues with anything coming loose. If you are worried about this, drill the existing four bolts for safety wire and be done with it.