HybridZ

r200 diff problems

240zdan

Ok I am having problems with my r32 GTr r200 diff. when i tighten the pinion flange nut the diff binds up slightly. i understand r200s do not use a crush spacer, and use shims instead. Every other r200 I tried does not bind up like mine. I am worried the pinion bearing will fail with it binding like that.

Now the only thing I can think of is someone rebuilt the diff, did not shim the pinion bearing propreley, and didnt fully tighten the pinion flange nut to compensate.

Question is this: Can I run some loctite red on the flange nut and tightwen it until the bearing beings to load up and run it like this?

It's probably the pinion seal hitting the flange. You can pull the pinion seal and tighten the nut to check how it feels without the seal in there, but if you're like me that probably means that you need to replace the seal. That one is in there pretty tight and I ruined my old one pulling it out.

The pinion nut was not run loose, I can pretty much guarantee you that one. When I first got my 300ZXT R200 I had it rebuilt at the local gear shop. They left the pinion loose; they had it snugged but forgot to torque it down. I drove it for about 2 miles before the nut backed off and the pinion walked off the ring gear into the LSD and locked the rear tires solid. I was very very very lucky in that I heard something going on back there and grabbed a friend of mine and was showing him the noise getting on and off the gas very lightly at about 10 mph when it locked up. I was about 3 houses down from my own so we jacked up the back of the car with a floor jack and pushed it back to the house. No damage was done to the diff so the nut was loctited and torqued and that was that.

R32 is a long nose R200, right? I think some/all of the later short nose diffs do use a crush sleeve.

Edited by JMortensen