HybridZ

How to get this look, and stregthen the body

Guest Zpeed

orange2.jpg

not sure if that worked (geocities), otherwise ( http://www.geocities.com/mr_fireman_sam/jackz/orange/orange2.jpg

I'm wanting this rear end look, i saw a blue one today and it lookkkeedd SOOOOO NICE, i always loved this look,i've seen in pictures... but wanted to see it in real life and its the best....

i believe, the bumper is just taken off, and the holes are just fiberglassed.... is this the way to do it, i know that the Z will be easily have the rear destroyed without a bumper, but i want to get some ideas on how to strengthen the rear end without the an outer bumper... i was thinking of making an bumper or more like a steel rail that went across the rear of the car, but inside the body, to strengthen if a crash incur, i know the metal will be bashed in, with this idea, but it would stop from getting to much else,

anyone else have any ideas...

i'd love to find this guy who done it to his car, it was a light blue early Z, 2 seater, rear bumper removed, with white rims

Nathan, I had that same idea about a bumper behind the sheet metal. I also like the look of "no rear bumper" on the Z. I think that this can be done. Cut the stock bumper mounting brackets from the rails behind the sheet metal and add (weld in) a piece of curved sqaure tubing to the bttom of the rails. Good idea! I think this will work well.

Instead, I took the center of a stock 240Z bumper, added some short tapered ends that run out to the corner of the car, but don't wrap around, and took 3/4" of depth out of the bumper. I also had it painted the same color of the car. I need to get it mounted and take some pics. Anyway, I have made heavy duty mounts that it bolts to and that also has a piece of bent 1" sched 40 black pipe that fits inside of it. You can't see it, but it is the actual bumper, and the stock piece is more like a bumper cover icon_smile.gif.

Sweet, a new pic of my favorite Z car! icon_smile.gif I tried hard to get those wheels for my car - no longer made, not available icon_sad.gif

IMO I'd not worry so much about the rear bumper. If you're hit from behind I'd not expect much from the stock bumper. This is part of my reasoning for a cage and I'm using that back area as a crush zone. I DO worry about the fuel cell quite a bit and will probably upgrade at a later date to somehting both stronger and safer with a bladder in addition to the foam I've got now. In my case I've simply got a fiberglass bumper painted to match the body color. Love that look too I'll agree!

Can anyone that's been rear-ended speak to the 240 bumper? My car had been tapped a time or two prior to my owning it and all it did was smoosh the bumper into the valence and leave nasty dents. I'm thinking in a "real" accident it would squish right back and the only value added would be distributing the force along the entire backend... Yes? icon_confused.gif

Jim, that stock steel bumper is about as good as a piece of cardboard. I doubt it would do much. It MIGHT spread the load a bit, but if it's much of a hit from the rear (or, someone oversteers and goes backwards into something with it!) then I doubt it would do much. Which is exactly why I'm using mine as a bumper cover and adding a beam behind it.

I got tagged in the right rear while I was stopped to make a left - kid on his cellphone was going maybe 30mph. I don't think any bumper on any car would really do much to protect the car beyond minor parking lot stuff.

In my case the bumper got bent and it also smooshed into the valence metal. I haven't gotten it fixed yet (previous owner had some awful bodywork done on the right rear panel that needs to be addressed - it all needs doing all at once at huge cost). I agree that it would be key to put some steel, on either side of the valence, between a crash and the fuel tank.

I bought this Camaro tank mostly for the electronics (pump, regulator, pressure sender). I was planning to adapt my Z tank to the Camaro dropin hardware. But I am considering cutting up the rear and dropping in the whole tank. It's plastic and has some nice vapor recovery stuff plumbed in (vapor is meant ot get vented to the intake). Plastic is nice in an accident and it also doesn't corrode. Also, by using the whole GM solution, I should get the fuel-shut-off-during-collision stuff for free.

Guest Anonymous

Yeah it does clean it up alot huh. For the full effect, I'd relocate the fuel door behind the license or something and fill that. Also electric locks and shave the door handle/lock indentations. That would look pretty sweet.

I like the idea of a camaro fuel tank too, its OEM and would work (correctly icon_rolleyes.gif ) with my fuel gauge. Plus it probably has the EFI fuel pump in it. I may have to add that to my book of mods for my car, thanks Jeromio!

Regards,

Lone

I'd be interested in knowing how well the Camaro tank lines up. Rear fill is a PITA, getting the angle right with my cell was pretty much impossible unless I wanted to risk hitting the sump on parking blocks icon_eek.gif

Perhap an Impalla SS tank could be used? Fill angle looks pretty shallow but I've never really looked to see how big it is - probably heeyuge like the rest of the car icon_smile.gif Those cars have the license tag holder you'd want to use.

Cells like Mike has fill at the top middle like mine, giant hassle to get a rear fill in there. What other tanks might work? At least my aluminum cell could be welded on if you had to but we chose not to try that when mine was done. Maybe I could section my existing angled filler to work? I'll take a peak, maybe it could work and it sure would beat having to open the hatch to fill! Since my tank "oil canned" filling it is a giant PITA, 10gallons isn't near enough either icon_rolleyes.gif

Well, my plan is just to turn it 180 degrees.

Here's a picture:

camarofueltank.gif

My plans are not solid as yet - it may not work out. Clearly the spare tire is an issue (well, lack of one).

It seems like it would work. If you look at that picture and imagine that you're seeing "inside" the picture of that orange Z in the first post of this thread.

I can't get that picture to come up. But I've done some mods back there. Mine is still in process, but I will be smoothing out the rear valance and removing the bumper. I cut out the rear floor and welded in braces and supports for the tank and battery. I'm hoping in a rear-ender the supports will give some extra protection for me and the fuel tank. When Eric's Zparts is back up you can see some pics.

Here's a page with some quick photos of the Camaro tank in relation to the ZCar:

http://240z.jeromio.com/images/gastank

The tank is rather long. The 90 degree bend in the exhaust will have to be very tight and as close to the rear transverse bar as possible. You're right, won't work with an LSD brace. icon_sad.gif

BUT, the height looks good. If the top of the 'maro tank is put up against the floor of the hatch (with the tire well removed), then the tank won't be any lower than the original one. And since it slopes quite a bit, it wil actually be more trim.

Guest Anonymous

Just started glassing the rear of my car yesterday for that look. Never worked with this stuff before but after some practice it should turn out ok icon_smile.gif

As for being rear-ended, I bought a 3rd brake light from a salvage yard. It is one of those thin ones (it has led's) and is about 2 feet wide and only about 1/2 tall. Looks sweet but its going to be some work to make it seem like it belongs on a Z but all I have is time. The angle is almost perfect on the top of the glass at the rear hatch. Tough part is going to be the wiring icon_wink.gif Also picked up a late model VW FM antenna. Filled the spot for the Datsun antenna and the side vents too. Got carried away

icon_biggrin.gif

The rear of that car gives me a semi-pudge icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

I have a few pictures of a 78 with a custom smooth rear that looks close too that if anyone wants me to send them a pic.

tommy

Those wheels are TSW Trophies and in that pic are 18X7 I think - possibly 8inches wide. I tried several places to get them and it was no-go. Instead I ended up with Konig 5.0 wheels and a few folks I've spoken to who are familier with both seem to think I did better with these (shrug). IMO that car looks terrific, wish my paint was more that color icon_smile.gif One of these days I'll do the paint thing, just not quite yet and when I do I'll probably go whole hog with flares and who knows what else icon_biggrin.gif

P.S. What's the VW antenna look like? If you've got some other pics of cars done like that I'd be interested in seeingposting them... Oh, and if you're making a mod like this one please take lot's of pics and dopcument the progress! It helps others down the line who wish to attempt to follow you

icon_cool.gif

[ September 28, 2001: Message edited by: BLKMGK ]

Jermomio, thanks for reminding me! Guys, the 5.0 Mustangs have a nice collision detector on their rear that can be easily used to shut off a fuel pump in an accident. I'm NOT sure what it costs but it can be reset and used so it's not a one time use part. I meant to wire one of these in and forgot - now you've reminded me and I need to hunt one down, thanks!

Anyone else done this? My Mustang got tagged once and it triggered, no biggie to wire or reset and it sure could prevent a BIG mess - especially if you're running EFI! I've seen what a fuel leak at 40+ PSI looks like icon_eek.gif

Zpeed: I own the orange car in the pics. The wheels are 18x8 TSW trophies. I believe the offset is +20 on the rears and +40 on the fronts. Fronts use a small spacer. rears are really really tight with stock suspension but now that I have coilovers I wish they wheels were tucked in a bit more in the rear b/c they want to scrub the fender lip on occasion.

JT

the wheels look kinda like porche 911 wheels,

umm, with the rear i have a towbar at the rear of my car, it fits under the bumper, it is just conected the to bolts of the normal bumper, but i was thinking of using the 2inch think pipe and just put it on the oposite side which will give it some support,

Jtaylor: did you do your rear end yourself, did you just remove the rear bumper, and just fill the holes/gaps with fibreglass, smooth it off and paint it,

i still havn't decided on a g-nose or the no bumper front, i love the mean look of the front with the grill, with the air dam like Jtaylors, and also with a half front bumper like zedskids, thats what i am planning on doing, i just need money, then i'll get to work...

i like your idea Pete Peraska, i think it will be the same idea if i use the towbar, it already has the mounts connected to the 2inch thick pipeing, and i've read other people say that the towbar has saved alot of impact ... once i get my engine finished, i'll be doing the rear end and front end for sure

Hey Zspeed I have the same style rear on my 280. I mearly removed the 280 bumper, and filled in the holes and fibreglassed the whole thing smooth.

I was a bit concerned about crash protection, but since the car is sooo low..any SUV will hit me in my hatch anyways...

To protect myself a little bit though..I did add a 12 point roll cage, as well as lots of additional bracing (which is not considered roll cage..but adds another 16 points).

Scott.