HybridZ

Starter Relay Install Problem- 240z

Well I tried installing a relay for my starter today with no luck.

87: 20A fused line from (+)

85: (-)

86: ignition switch wire on solenoid

30: To signal wire (original wire that went to solenoid

I tried three different relays just in case; Ebay no name, DEI, and Bosch.

I checked voltages and was getting fine readings. I disconnected everything and reconnected the signal wire back to the solenoid to see if the starter still worked. Worked just fine.

I'm not sure if this could have anything to do with it, but I installed a new starter switch and noticed the previous owner did not connect the two wires from the switch. He just had it plugged into the socket. So I did the same.

I'm not sure if there is a reason he did that. Maybe has something to do with the electric fuel pump or Mallory ignition? No idea.

Thanks for reading!

Tyler

You've connected the relay correct by what you've provided. There is no reason it shouldn't work. You say you've checked the voltages from the battery to the relay socket, the voltage at the starter lead when the key is in the start position, and have voltage on the #87 when the key is in the start position? Is the lead broken between the relay socket and the solenoid? Why are you load relaying the starter solenoid anyway? The two wires off the switch are probably for the 'key in ignition' warning buzzer when the door opens.

I checked voltages and was getting fine readings. I disconnected everything and reconnected the signal wire back to the solenoid to see if the starter still worked. Worked just fine.

I'm not sure if this could have anything to do with it, but I installed a new starter switch and noticed the previous owner did not connect the two wires from the switch. He just had it plugged into the socket. So I did the same.

I'm not sure if there is a reason he did that. Maybe has something to do with the electric fuel pump or Mallory ignition? No idea.

Thanks for reading!

Tyler

You've connected the relay correct by what you've provided. There is no reason it shouldn't work. You say you've checked the voltages from the battery to the relay socket, the voltage at the starter lead when the key is in the start position, and have voltage on the #87 when the key is in the start position? Is the lead broken between the relay socket and the solenoid? Why are you load relaying the starter solenoid anyway? The two wires off the switch are probably for the 'key in ignition' warning buzzer when the door opens.

I get voltage when in the start position on #87. No broken lead. I'm doing a relay to alleviate poor voltage drop to the starter from the ignition switch. I was recommended to do so over at classicZcar.

Addition of a Relay

I'd get rid of that whole system and just use a ford starter solenoid. It makes life very easy.

Unfortunately I just put a new solenoid in the day before. A remanufactured Duralast brand. For future reference, do you know the ford part number?

Thanks all!

I get voltage when in the start position on #87. No broken lead. I'm doing a relay to alleviate poor voltage drop to the starter from the ignition switch. I was recommended to do so over at classicZcar.

Addition of a Relay

Unfortunately I just put a new solenoid in the day before. A remanufactured Duralast brand. For future reference, do you know the ford part number?

Thanks all!

Just go to autozone and ask for a ford starter solenoid, theres only two styles: flush and pedestal mounted, they used them from 1950 to present.

Thanks for reading!

Tyler

It is really easy to test your relay. Connect #30 to battery POS. and #85 to battery NEG.. You should hear a click. If you hear a click(keep #30 and #87 hooked up to battery) then take multi meter and test for continuity at #86 and #87. If you get continuity the contacts are closed and it is a good relay.

I have installed this type of relay and it works great.Ressolved the voltage drop to solinoid problem. I am assuming the #s you wrote are correct as I do not remember off the top of my head. My car is disassembled at the moment(2jz conversion).

Edited by ozzzzz