HybridZ

Painting a Friends 280z

Guest skimattybee

Guest skimattybee

I am painting a fellow local Z club members 280z this week and i thought i would share some photos along the way. Enjoy!

Here are a few before photos:

SU1HMDAyNjUtMjAxMDA0MDEtMTc1OS5qcGc.jpg

SU1HMDAyNjgtMjAxMDA0MDEtMTgwMC5qcGc.jpg

SU1HMDAyNjYtMjAxMDA0MDEtMTc1OS5qcGc.jpg

SU1HMDAyNjktMjAxMDA0MDEtMTgwMC5qcGc.jpg

SU1HMDAyNzAtMjAxMDA0MDEtMTgwMC5qcGc.jpg

Guest skimattybee

The car looked as if it was painted with spray paint, i had to strip the entire car down to original paint, and some spots to the metal

SU1HMDAyODQtMjAxMDA0MDYtMTQxOS5qcGc.jpg

SU1HMDAyODMtMjAxMDA0MDYtMTQxOS5qcGc.jpg

SU1HMDAyODItMjAxMDA0MDYtMTQxOS5qcGc.jpg

after smoothing out as much as possible, the entire car sprayed with several coats of 2K high build urethane primer, and guide coated with black

SU1HMDAyODUtMjAxMDA0MDctMTY0Ni5qcGc.jpg

SU1HMDAyODYtMjAxMDA0MDctMTY0Ni5qcGc.jpg

SU1HMDAyODgtMjAxMDA0MDctMTY0Ny5qcGc.jpg

SU1HMDAyOTAtMjAxMDA0MDgtMTcwOS5qcGc.jpg

SU1HMDAyOTEtMjAxMDA0MDgtMTcwOS5qcGc.jpg

SU1HMDAyOTUtMjAxMDA0MDgtMTcxMC5qcGc.jpg

i am also attaching a MSA II body kit

SU1HMDAzMDMtMjAxMDA0MTMtMTg1NC5qcGc.jpg

SU1HMDAzMDEtMjAxMDA0MTMtMTg1MS5qcGc.jpg

SU1HMDAyOTktMjAxMDA0MTMtMTg1MS5qcGc.jpg

SU1HMDAyOTgtMjAxMDA0MTMtMTg1MS5qcGc.jpg

SU1HMDAyOTctMjAxMDA0MTMtMTg1MS5qcGc.jpg

Guest skimattybee

3 coats of base, 4 coats of clear=slick still have to wetsand and buff some trash out, but other than that it looks good, ill post some photos of it completed out in the sun by tuesday

SU1HMDAzMzEtMjAxMDA0MTYtMTYwMy5qcGc.jpg

SU1HMDAzMzAtMjAxMDA0MTYtMTYwMy5qcGc.jpg

SU1HMDAzMzQtMjAxMDA0MTYtMTYwNS5qcGc.jpg

SU1HMDAzMzMtMjAxMDA0MTYtMTYwNS5qcGc.jpg

Guest skimattybee

How much did you spend for the primer/ paint & materials.I would like to know what i`m getting into.$$$CIMG2829.jpg

How much did you spend for the primer/ paint & materials.I would like to know what i`m getting into.$$$

Resized to 30% (was 1024 x 768) - Click image to enlarge

to answer your question about materials

2k high build primer with hardener- $90

paint -$130 depending on which color you get, reds are always more expensive, so to keep cost down its best to go with a silver or gray, plus silver hides scratches and imperfections better than dark colors

roll of sandpaper 180 grit $30

roll of sandpaper 320 grit $30

spot putty (for small pinholes) $5

reducer (gallon) $40

sleeve of masking tape $30

roll of 18 inch masking paper $15

pint of fisheye reducer $20

one gallon kit of clearcoat, on sale for $55 , i got medium hardener so the clear would lay down better(less orange peel) takes longer to dry though. clearcoat is usually where you would want to spend the most money, i am spending $300 just on the clear for my car just because it will last much longer and be much more durable

of course you will need stirr sticks, cups and strainers, paint stores will give them for free when you make a decent purchase

i am sure i am forgetting something , if i think of anything else i will post

How much did you spend for the primer/ paint & materials.I would like to know what i`m getting into.$$$

Resized to 30% (was 1024 x 768) - Click image to enlarge

to answer your question about materials

2k high build primer with hardener- $90

paint -$130 depending on which color you get, reds are always more expensive, so to keep cost down its best to go with a silver or gray, plus silver hides scratches and imperfections better than dark colors

roll of sandpaper 180 grit $30

roll of sandpaper 320 grit $30

spot putty (for small pinholes) $5

reducer (gallon) $40

sleeve of masking tape $30

roll of 18 inch masking paper $15

pint of fisheye reducer $20

one gallon kit of clearcoat, on sale for $55 , i got medium hardener so the clear would lay down better(less orange peel) takes longer to dry though. clearcoat is usually where you would want to spend the most money, i am spending $300 just on the clear for my car just because it will last much longer and be much more durable

of course you will need stirr sticks, cups and strainers, paint stores will give them for free when you make a decent purchase

i am sure i am forgetting something , if i think of anything else i will post

What kinda of paint did u use?

Guest skimattybee

wetsanded the almost the entire car with 1500 and threw the buffer smackdown on it, 4 stage buff

SU1HMDAzMzctMjAxMDA0MTktMTQxOC5qcGc.jpg

wetsanded^

SU1HMDAzMzktMjAxMDA0MTktMTY1My5qcGc.jpg

SU1HMDAzNDItMjAxMDA0MTktMTk1My5qcGc.jpg

SU1HMDAzNDEtMjAxMDA0MTktMTgwMC5qcGc.jpg

SU1HMDAzNDAtMjAxMDA0MTktMTY1My5qcGc.jpg

SU1HMDAzNDMtMjAxMDA0MTktMjA1Ni5qcGc.jpg

had to spray the hatch and gas door tonight, i will be putting those on tomorrow

PR280z

yes it is a charcoal gray, ill have to check the paint code , ill post it tomorrow, i will also check the brand of paint

wetsanded the almost the entire car with 1500 and threw the buffer smackdown on it, 4 stage buff

SU1HMDAzMzctMjAxMDA0MTktMTQxOC5qcGc.jpg

wetsanded^

SU1HMDAzMzktMjAxMDA0MTktMTY1My5qcGc.jpg

SU1HMDAzNDItMjAxMDA0MTktMTk1My5qcGc.jpg

SU1HMDAzNDEtMjAxMDA0MTktMTgwMC5qcGc.jpg

SU1HMDAzNDAtMjAxMDA0MTktMTY1My5qcGc.jpg

SU1HMDAzNDMtMjAxMDA0MTktMjA1Ni5qcGc.jpg

had to spray the hatch and gas door tonight, i will be putting those on tomorrow

PR280z

yes it is a charcoal gray, ill have to check the paint code , ill post it tomorrow, i will also check the brand of paint

Looking good. My pops and my brother and i are painting my brothers 91 mr2 and were in the wet sand stage almost done though check it out http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php?/topic/89273-brothers-mr2/ but i still got to update it with some recent pictures.

Just wondering, how big of a garage do you need to do this? I'm really thinking about doing my own paint job, but I have a small garage, and am worried that I'll get over spray and so forth. Is there a recommended size?

we did my brothers car in a two car garage

Guest skimattybee

As long as you have enough room to get around the entire car, the main issue with spraying in a garage is ventilation, you need to make sure the overspray doesnt stay in the spraying area beacause it will settle on the car and cause the paint to look dull, mainly on the clearcoat. lighting is also a big issue, you need to make sure that you are able to see the entire area that you are painting, it is best to have lights on both sides , front , rear and on top so there are no light and heavy spots, another issue with spraying in an ares that isnt a booth is trash, to keep trash in your paint down to a minimum make sure you line the area with plastic, or at least spray everything down with water to keep any dust from kicking up, another trick is to tack off the surface after you are done spraying all of the basecoat, (make sure it is completely dry)