HybridZ

Dropped a socket during a valve adjustment? (510)

FiveSeventyZee

I've been offered a 510 for my 720 I've had on craigslist and I really like it but its not running because his friend dropped a socket into it during a valve adjustment. I was just wondering what it would take to fix this, like what parts could have been damaged?

Also, I found an L16 engine and tranny for $150 with good compression and came out of a running 510, I was thinking about buying it and just replacing the engine but I don't have an engine hoist and I've never swapped an engine, what might that entail? Would there be any way I could swap them without a hoist? Or maybe just the heads (I feel like thats all that would get damaged)? Do you think a shop would do it for me? How much would they charge to swap the engines for me?

edit: can this be moved to the general engine or engine components section?

Edited by FiveSeventyZee

You could get really creative here. You would be amazed what you can do without a hoist. You could completely dissasamble the good L16, have a friend help you lift the empty block up into the car and mount it in. Then just reassemble the engine in the car, and freshen up all the gaskets at the same time.Or you could buy a hoist at harbor freight for about $200. Though I think a gasket kit comes close to that... : /