HybridZ

Rb25 or 350?

stoodley

Hello all!

Im new to this web sight so this is my first form. I am in high school currently and have a part time job. I love 240z and currently looking.

One problem... I dont know what to drop into it. I want cheap, but fast. Ive looked at JDM web sights at rb25 and found some for about 2000 ready. ive also seen some 350 for about a 1000. I dont know if in getting over my head with trying to work on all the wiring on a RB25, but i love the small 6banger. Can some one help me decide on what i should do. Also hints and advice. Oh and also web sights where i can get a good RB25. Thank you very much! :]

All I can say, is spend a fortnight doing nothing but search and read this site, and you will have answered your questions, located step by step photographic histories of what other guys have done for both, comprehensive lists of what brake modifications and upgrades are necessary to provide sufficient "WHOA!" to rein in the sheer levels of "Giddy Up" the new engines stock.

I suggest your first stop is to read the rules, I bet a dollar that this thread will get sent to the tool shed for flagrant violation of the rules :D

Hello all!

Im new to this web sight so this is my first form. I am in high school currently and have a part time job. I love 240z and currently looking.

One problem... I dont know what to drop into it. I want cheap, but fast. Ive looked at JDM web sights at rb25 and found some for about 2000 ready. ive also seen some 350 for about a 1000. I dont know if in getting over my head with trying to work on all the wiring on a RB25, but i love the small 6banger. Can some one help me decide on what i should do. Also hints and advice. Oh and also web sights where i can get a good RB25. Thank you very much! :]

Nothing is cheap about doing an engine swap. A lot of $$, and a lot of time. And to do it right, even more $$ and time.

If you are just getting out of HS, and have a part time job, I would just focus on getting the original engine running good, and have fun driving it. Get it running and driving good, and have fun. Dam, at least get laid in it before you take it all apart. B)

Pete

Cheap and fast? I want a low-maintenance super model girlfriend. It's not happening.

If you are just getting out of HS, and have a part time job, I would just focus on getting the original engine running good, and have fun driving it. Get it running and driving good, and have fun. Dam, at least get laid in it before you take it all apart. B)

^^ Very sound advice.

Depending on how well it's running when you buy one, it may take several hundred just catching up on neglected maintenance and the like. I'm planning an RB swap on my '77 280z, and plan on a bare minimum of $8500. That's including motor, refreshing said motor, drive shaft, mounting kit, inter cooler, GReddy intake, gauges, big brake kit, you get the idea. This stuff isn't cheap, and it's not until you find all the problems the previous owner doesn't know about or tell you about when you buy it. It's a long haul project, if you want something fast tomorrow, buy something new. Cheap, fast, reliable, pick any two.