HybridZ

Fuel tank sump -or- surge tank -or- both?!

proxlamus©

I've been browsing around on different fuel options..

I know a lot of guys don't recommend a fuel cell unless I opt for a good $1,000 unit with a bladder and foam core..

I've seen a lot of guys weld on a fuel tank sump and then a lot of guys who have welded up a surge tank off to the side.

Unfortunately I don't know a whole lot about the major differences and I was hoping to get some input.

- My plan was to use the factory 280z tank, weld up a surge tank and run the low and high pressure pumps.

Would there be any benefit to welding on a fuel sump on the bottom of the (280z efi) tank with a separate surge tank??

Not that baffled...

FWIW, I would think a good sump on the tank would suffice for a street car, unless you are running dangerous levels of boost and compression. Those two numbers are what would determine your need in my mind. Unfortunately, I am talking from my internet hole and not experience, so I cannot give you absolutes, but my view has always been "mild to moderate build, sump is enough, moderate to whoa build, might start thinking surge tank, WHOA to race you start going baffled/sumped/foam cored cell."

I can say that if you plan to drag race I'd probably look to sump the tank unless you want to race with a decent amount of fuel in the tank.

I noticed some starvation at the top of 1st and 2nd gears (stutter till the nose dropped then pull again) when the back end would squat at the track if i had little gas left in the tank