HybridZ

Transmission question

enix187

Well, this is different, first off I can't find the search button/location anywhere, so a location on that would be great. On to my question, I'm parting out a 280zx parts car and I honestly don't know if I can drop the transmission (manual)without pulling the motor? A yes or no would be great on that, also are there any snags to watch out for when dropping the transmission. I will be doing this with jackstands and 3 ton floor jacks, no lift.

yes you can.

jack the car up as high as you can

place car on jackstands

remove driveshaft

unbolt transmission from engine

place jack under tranny, put a short stick of 2x4 between the jack and the transmission, and raise it so that the tranny is supported

unbolt transmission brace

make sure transmission is balanced on the jack

tug and pull the transmission off the engine carefully

lower transmission.

and the search button is in the upper right hand corner of the forum, has a magnifying glass and an open text box.

Edited by crazyoctopus

• 5 months later...

i have a 1973 240z that i bought and now the transmission (5th gear) is not working... not a big problem.. i know that this transmission is not the factory one bc its not a 4 speed... when i dropped the trans it had 280zx sport written on the outside with a marker... so here is my main question.. how do i know what rebuild kit to buy for it? i understand that there are two different types besides the borg warner and i know that its not that... the only thing i can find is #5-10-31 that was put on there when it was made... any ideas guys?

i have a 1973 240z that i bought and now the transmission (5th gear) is not working... not a big problem.. i know that this transmission is not the factory one bc its not a 4 speed... when i dropped the trans it had 280zx sport written on the outside with a marker... so here is my main question.. how do i know what rebuild kit to buy for it? i understand that there are two different types besides the borg warner and i know that its not that... the only thing i can find is #5-10-31 that was put on there when it was made... any ideas guys?

my guess if its not a B/W and its out of a 280zx is its a nissan 5 speed out of a non turbo s130, just installed one in my 280zxt

did your number look like this? 7Z07673 i found this number around the edge of the bell housing... i can not find a number anywhere else on the transmission besides the one i told you about earlier

that sounds like it would be the right one if its the only one, i never did end up rebuilding mine, its in the plan but im waiting for the $, got fired from my job for applying for a better one.. mine just needs a syncro for second, but its not to bad just have to shift little slower, it has 280000 kms on it, still a world of difference over the 3 speed auto. hopefully iv helped you