HybridZ

Clicking from rear when backing up - R200LSD or U-joint?

jgkurz

Hi All,

I have a strange noise from the rear of my 77z when backing up. The description is very similar to the below thread however my drive shaft is not hitting my swaybar.

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php?/topic/74366-clicking-noise-when-backing-up

In summary, I hear a click clack click clack from the rear of my car when I back up the car. It happens often but not every time. On a rare occasion I can hear it slightly going forward. I only hear the clicking after letting the clutch out at low speeds in 1st or reverse. I'm am positive the rear CV shafts or brakes are not to blame. I believe the problem is either the R200 LSD or a U-Joint.

I put some hard miles on my car at a track day and since then I have noticed the click clacking.

Questions:

1) Could worn or slightly low diff gear oil cause my LSD clutches to make this noise? I use Amsoil synthetic without a friction modifier (as recommended)

2) If it's a U-Joint, I assume I take the drive shaft out and check for smooth moving joints?

3) Could a wheel bearing cause clicking? When the car is jacked up the wheels spins freely and without freeplay. Not a fun job to change one of these.

Thanks!

Edited by jgkurz

The LSD does absolutely nothing unless you're turning.

Thanks Jon. I was hoping you'd see my post and reply. Actually I'm glad to focus on something other than the diff. Much cheaper.. :)

sounds stupid, but it could be one of your driveshaft to diff bolts sliding back and forth in its hole. I had this happen once, really strange noises, like the ones you're describing.

Interesting. I will pull the driveshaft to inspect the u-joints and bolts. That would be any easy fix.

Edited by jgkurz

• 4 months later...