HybridZ

Play in driver front wheel/hub

Hey everyone, I went for a ride today in my 72 240z and after a few minutes I heard some grinding coming from the front brakes. I drive home and jack the front end up and see that my pads are toast. Anyway.. While doing this I figured I would take a look at a few other things because at highway speeds my steering wheel shakes real bad. I snugged up both of the wheel bearings a little bit and the passenger side feels nice and tight(I didn't over tighten, but there is no play on this side). I go back to the driver side and if i grab the wheel at 10-4 or even 3-9 there is play somewhere that I just can't find. I even went to the extent to tighten the ball joints a little more, but still no luck. The car has all new ball joints, tie rods ends (not inners), and poly bushings all around. It seems like this play doesn't even move the tie rods, so I am thinking the inners are ok (they feel fairly solid anyway). Could the inner wheel bearing just be so crushed that its not sitting right anymore? What/where should I check now to fix this headache? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Let me know if you need anymore information.

Thanks, Elliot

Edited by Cutlass372

Check for play between the shock and the strut tube. The nut holding the shock in could be loose or the shock toast!

Mongo

Hey everyone, I went for a ride today in my 72 240z and after a few minutes I heard some grinding coming from the front brakes. I drive home and jack the front end up and see that my pads are toast. Anyway.. While doing this I figured I would take a look at a few other things because at highway speeds my steering wheel shakes real bad. I snugged up both of the wheel bearings a little bit and the passenger side feels nice and tight(I didn't over tighten, but there is no play on this side). I go back to the driver side and if i grab the wheel at 10-4 or even 3-9 there is play somewhere that I just can't find. I even went to the extent to tighten the ball joints a little more, but still no luck. The car has all new ball joints, tie rods ends (not inners), and poly bushings all around. It seems like this play doesn't even move the tie rods, so I am thinking the inners are ok (they feel fairly solid anyway). Could the inner wheel bearing just be so crushed that its not sitting right anymore? What/where should I check now to fix this headache? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Let me know if you need anymore information.

Thanks, Elliot